This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

All Steamboxes use nVidia

#1The__QPosted 10/5/2013 9:12:31 AM
Apparently their is no driver support on SteamOS for AMD. Do you think this will finally mark AMDs shift into mobile/console only? These are the current rumors industry insiders are giving close friends and relatives.
#2therickmu25Posted 10/5/2013 9:13:30 AM
I don't think anyone would really care honestly..
---
Games List: http://i.imgur.com/n5R72Cl.jpg
PC Setup: http://i.imgur.com/fUPqE7N.jpg
#3The__Q(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2013 9:14:37 AM
therickmu25 posted...
I don't think anyone would really care honestly..

Ya I agree that people who buy steamboxes are probably the people who just want something to plug in and play, but for current AMD fans this seems grim as ultimately from now on nVidia will be the dominant platform for all Valve games. nVidia already was the best in terms of performance on Valve games, but now it is more official.
#4HighOnPhazonPosted 10/5/2013 9:27:10 AM
I'm not stuck in one brand or the other, if I can't buy an ATI card for PC in the future, I wont lose sleep over it.
---
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#5JuiciiPosted 10/5/2013 9:33:03 AM
All we know is that the prototypes uses nVidia, but I wouldn't rule out AMD.
---
3DS: Lemons of Seaside - 1650-1827-2456
http://i.imgur.com/s0Iqy.gif http://i.imgur.com/MGH4L.gif
#6aak57Posted 10/5/2013 9:34:16 AM
Rather bad idea making that account, man. People can get usermap axed for imping.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#7Orestes417Posted 10/5/2013 9:34:18 AM
The reason they use nvidia is fairly obvious to anyone who has experience with Linux based OSes. Until AMD step up their driver game, it's the only rational choice
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#8dakondakbladePosted 10/5/2013 9:37:57 AM
No. I have a feeling this is why Nvidia turned down offers to develop GPU's for the new consoles. So they would have an exclusive contract with Valve.

IF Valve releases the steambox at or around the same price as building it yourself; they will have effectively eliminated some peoples fear of building a pc and choosing parts.

Essentially; Valve is the middle man for you buying parts and having it assembled.

If these machines are priced well; it's essentially a prebuilt with SteamOS, and ONLY Nvidia would be able to develop cards for them.

They essentially gave up the chance to develop for consoles; to instead stick to their PC roots; and this could very well mean in a year or two AMD has no ground left to stand on and will bow out of the PC GPU market.
---
Until you can stop death herself, I will ignore you like I would the ants beneath my feet
#9DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/5/2013 9:44:38 AM
dakondakblade posted...
They essentially gave up the chance to develop for consoles; to instead stick to their PC roots; and this could very well mean in a year or two AMD has no ground left to stand on and will bow out of the PC GPU market.

That's a stretch. AMD has been improving in many ways as of late. I would not be surprised to see them gain market share over the next couple years. They will support linux if they need to and I'm sure they are working on some prototype drivers as we speak.

There is room for 2 different companies in this hardware race.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#10cuteboi100Posted 10/5/2013 9:46:26 AM
The__Q posted...
therickmu25 posted...

Ya I agree that people who buy steamboxes are probably the people who just want something to plug in and play, but for current AMD fans this seems grim as ultimately from now on nVidia will be the dominant platform for all Valve games. nVidia already was the best in terms of performance on Valve games, but now it is more official.

Valve has only made a few games, so it is negligible if 'nVidia will be the dominant platform for all Valve games'.

I seriously doubt that nVidia offers the best performance in Valve games because Valve games aren't graphically intensive. This means that a high-value, low-cost AMD solution could run them just as good as any nVidia card, and you save money.

AMD always seems to have the best solutions at every pricepoint until the ludicrously expensive end. This will keep AMD in business and win them my business as well.

Finally, the future has never looked brighter for AMD customers. AMD's multi-core CPUs are dominating their Intel competition at each of their respective pricepoints and the gap will only grow as games become fully able to utilize multi-threaded cpus. And the fact that next generation of consoles are fully AMD powered ensures that games will be optimized to run on AMD computers.
---
Xbox Live GT:ScaryPillow , iHaruyuki TERA:
LoL : ScaryPillow Maplestory: MLGLordly 16x I/L Arch Mage