This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

All Steamboxes use nVidia

#11gsf4lyfePosted 10/5/2013 9:48:09 AM(edited)
DV8ingSources posted...
dakondakblade posted...
They essentially gave up the chance to develop for consoles; to instead stick to their PC roots; and this could very well mean in a year or two AMD has no ground left to stand on and will bow out of the PC GPU market.

That's a stretch. AMD has been improving in many ways as of late. I would not be surprised to see them gain market share over the next couple years. They will support linux if they need to and I'm sure they are working on some prototype drivers as we speak.

There is room for 2 different companies in this hardware race.

I hope this is the case. Currently have an Nvidia card but competition is good for everyone. If I were to build my pc right now I would probably go with an AMD card simply because their price/performance ratio is better right now, especially with the R9 series coming out.
---
Currently playing: GTA V
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#12betatechPosted 10/5/2013 9:54:15 AM
One thing that I'm curious about is whether the game streaming feature will end up only really working with Nvidia cards.

It's something that interests me since I have an old desktop with a low end gpu downstairs but if Nvidia are playing a big part I wonder if it will be like physx or something.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#13TheWayOfTheGunPosted 10/5/2013 9:57:23 AM
One positive I see it that maybe now, NVIDIA PhysX can be a standard on all Steambox games.

I understand that the physics can be done only GPU if it wasn't proprietary but I have experience it several times and it's amazing when well implemented. Mafia 2 for example.
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#14rabbi_babyPosted 10/5/2013 10:05:25 AM
AMD drivers are horrible. People who use AMD cards should feel horrible.
---
TT Level 10 GT Snow Edition| i5 3570k w/ Corsair H100i | 2x XFX 7950 | 32GB DDR3 2400 | MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt| Corsair AX1200i | 512GB 840 Pro | 2TB WD Green
#15cuteboi100Posted 10/5/2013 10:07:31 AM
rabbi_baby posted...

Would you answer a question for me? How are you finding your X-fire 7950s? Powerful? What kind of frames are you getting at your resolution?
---
Xbox Live GT:ScaryPillow , iHaruyuki TERA:
LoL : ScaryPillow Maplestory: MLGLordly 16x I/L Arch Mage
#16DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/5/2013 10:08:25 AM
rabbi_baby posted...

Clearly you are being sarcastic but it really is true on the linux side of things and that's what steambox is targeting. AMD needs to shape up if linux is to have a chance. I'm still worried about support from the larger devs moreso. I'd give up windows in a heartbeat if I could guarantee compatibility.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#17RequiemPosted 10/5/2013 10:23:43 AM
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
One positive I see it that maybe now, NVIDIA PhysX can be a standard on all Steambox games.

I understand that the physics can be done only GPU if it wasn't proprietary but I have experience it several times and it's amazing when well implemented. Mafia 2 for example.

Yes. Papers and smokes.

About the only game where Physx made an actual "WOW" impression on me is BL2. I don't think very many companies put too much effort into Physx in their games because (besides the fact that it's not an open source) it's a pretty demanding feature to use on higher settings. Depending on games, it can effectively cut down the fps by half.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#18TheWayOfTheGunPosted 10/5/2013 10:36:50 AM
Requiem posted...
TheWayOfTheGun posted...

Yes. Papers and smokes.

About the only game where Physx made an actual "WOW" impression on me is BL2. I don't think very many companies put too much effort into Physx in their games because (besides the fact that it's not an open source) it's a pretty demanding feature to use on higher settings. Depending on games, it can effectively cut down the fps by half.

But that smoke is so sexy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiJogb-k230
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#19BlutonicPosted 10/5/2013 10:38:01 AM
How many alts can one guy have...

And no duh it's going to use NVIDIA.

It wouldn't settle for less.
---
"I'm glad I'm not friends with any of you in real life." -All Star : GameFAQs in a nutshell