This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Early Access on Steam is gaining popularity. Yay or Nay?

#11DaedalusExPosted 10/5/2013 12:05:58 PM
This might be a weird complaint, but early access often kills the.. "social energy" surrounding release. It sort of goes like this:

"Hey dude, you gotta play this new game, it's awesome!"
"Alright!"
*looks up game, sees that it's early access*
"Eh, it's early access. I'd rather wait until the game is finished before I play it."
"What? Dude, it's practically finished, it doesn't matter."
"I really don't want to burn myself out on the game now when it's going to be a better experience later."
"Whatever bro, suit yourself."

*one year later*
"Hey man, remember that game you told me about a year ago? It finally came out and you were right, it's awesome! Do you want to play?"
"Huh? Oh, nah, I already played that game to death."
"Oh..."
#12SUPER3METROIDXPosted 10/5/2013 12:23:55 PM
I feel that there needs to be rules and restrictions put on devs to prevent them from abusing this. Heck just look at Minecraft. The guy released his game as a beta and since he had all the cash flow from and unfinished product he just took vacation after vacation and is easily one of the laziest devs out there. What's to stop someone from leaving their product perpetually in beta?

While it's good that devs would have the ability to fix issues quicker and have more community input, it's simply too easy for someone to abuse the system currently.
#13ProsercunusPosted 10/5/2013 12:36:34 PM
gamerdude555 posted...
Early access is horrible because you're paying for an unfinished product in alpha stage. It's nasty and I prefer finished games.

Depends. Sometimes they give you a huge discount when the game actually releases.

A lot of times I will buy early access games just for the 50% or more discount. I don't even necessarily play them, I just see it as a huge discount for preordering.

If they want full price for early access I of course pass on it.
---
i5 2500k | 8GB DDR3 | GTX 580
Steam - Prosercunus | Xbox LIVE - Prosercunus | PSN - Promah
#14TheFeshPincePosted 10/5/2013 12:37:26 PM
The more I see it, the more I learn to hate it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/J0lvB6S.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/DoHj9yA.jpg | http://youtu.be/YXkx-PSwbG4
#15reincarnator07Posted 10/5/2013 12:50:46 PM
I'm in favour of it, but I doubt I'll actually purchase any games in early access. I'd rather have the full thing at release that (ideally) has had all the bugs ironed out and has a sufficient amount of content. The players of the game are probably the best testers for it though. People always find new ways to break the game.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#16TheWayOfTheGun(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2013 3:31:36 PM
SUPER3METROIDX posted...
I feel that there needs to be rules and restrictions put on devs to prevent them from abusing this. Heck just look at Minecraft. The guy released his game as a beta and since he had all the cash flow from and unfinished product he just took vacation after vacation and is easily one of the laziest devs out there. What's to stop someone from leaving their product perpetually in beta?

While it's good that devs would have the ability to fix issues quicker and have more community input, it's simply too easy for someone to abuse the system currently.

This is what I was pondering. I don't see it becoming a norm but since there has been a rise of creative and quality Indie games recently, I don't really want to see this be an acceptable option. I'd rather see the Indie devs use the development cycles of the big budget studios and just set their budgets accordingly.
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#17Marioface5Posted 10/5/2013 4:00:52 PM
SUPER3METROIDX posted...

That kind of stuff is just one of the risks you take when buying an unfinished product. It would be very strange for Valve to try to force developers to follow an update schedule, and it just doesn't seem like the kind of thing they have any right to be doing in the first place. If anything, that kind of regulation would likely just result in games being "released" when they're obviously not finished just so that the developers wouldn't have to put up with Valve trying to tell them what to do with their own games.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#18g_lethalPosted 10/5/2013 4:51:21 PM
i just wish steam would put the early access games in their own section and stop lumping them in with the "true" new releases. its almost cruel to have your hopes high then that early access banner appears, its fine what the devs are doing but as i get older and learn to manage my cash i just cant spend it on something that s clearly not finished
---
"Remember Me" is awesome