This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Worth upgrading CPU yet?

#1FMofDeathPosted 10/5/2013 9:53:45 AM
I'm currently running an AMD Phenom II X4 970 BE @3.85Ghz, 12Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX 680 2gb and a 700w PSU. With the new console generation coming out and for once, being underpowered by todays PC standards, I was looking to upgrade now and be set for the next generation. I want a new Motherboard soon so I can grab another GTX 680 and SLI them but I'm not sure if I should upgrade just yet. I want to go with an i7-4770k but all the 6-8 core pc requirements has me worried I would be wasting money and with AMD I was considering the FX-8350 but I'm not sure if AM3+ will be obsolete soon and I'd have wasted my money. Any opinions would be cool!
---
PC gaming will always be the choice of the gaming enthusiast who is willing to put in the extra effort for a richer, more rewarding experience
#2HypnotizerPosted 10/5/2013 10:10:05 AM
Are you happy with your current performance?

I would say wait because there is so much up in the air still with new consoles being released and what will be needed to run games in the future.

As long as your computer is running games to your liking, wait to upgrade.

That way you will have better hardware etc instead of upgrading now when you don't need to.
---
Peace and love!
#3JonWood007Posted 10/5/2013 10:15:51 AM
Probably is if you can afford top dollar for a new CPU. Still, it's always best to wait if you can. Especially since we don't know what next gen will bring us requirements wise.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#4BludFalkonPosted 10/5/2013 10:19:39 AM
No, not yet.
#5AsucaHayashiPosted 10/5/2013 10:31:04 AM
i'm desperate for a new setup(phenom II 920 and a failing mobo with only 2/4 sata plugs working etc.) but i just know i gotta wait till after both consoles are out and after much more is known about the steambox.

though if i see a killer deal around xmas, i might make the plunge after all.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#6TheWayOfTheGunPosted 10/5/2013 10:48:36 AM
I have a similar Intel CPU, the i7 930 and I just upgraded my GPU from that same gen to now and have amazing results.

I would just focus on upgrading you GPU setup and save your money until your next GPU upgrade or when your CPU dies. Whichever happens first.
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#7PhilOnDezPosted 10/5/2013 10:53:35 AM
Supposedly the new consoles have the same per core CPU performance as the first gen phenoms. Games also won't be using more than 6 for quite some time since that's all the consoles will be using. Even then, an i5, or especially an i7, is fast enough on a per-core basis to run circles around the console hardware, or even AMD's current 6 core processors. If by chance games start using 8 threads sooner than anticipated then the 8350 becomes an incredible value but again, on a per-core basis, it's a lot weaker than an i5/i7. If price isn't an issue, there's no reason not to go intel, especially if you're already planning on a new mobo (though you can probably just plop an FX in your current mobo so that can be a factor)
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#8TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 10/5/2013 11:45:26 AM
Wait until a few next-gen titles come out. See if the performance decrease is drastic or not. Also, this will tell you what CPU you should get in case you do need to upgrade.

I've been wondering how old CPUs with 4 or 6 cores (like my x6 1055T) will be affected by next-gen titles.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#9FMofDeath(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2013 12:05:33 PM
Guess I'll save a little money in the mean time. I'm happy with my performance right now but CPU intensive games are where it's depressing. Most people joke about how easy it is to max WoW but I only get like 40-55fps in low populated areas with my CPU where people with i7s and 680s get like 80-120fps. Same with Guild Wars 2, I get like 20fps in some zones. It doesn't matter that much though so I'll keep waiting
---
PC gaming will always be the choice of the gaming enthusiast who is willing to put in the extra effort for a richer, more rewarding experience
#10gamerdude555Posted 10/5/2013 12:14:47 PM
No point in upgrading just because the latest consoles are coming out. Personally I have no interest whatsoever in any upcoming games and when I upgraded my PC I upgraded for the current games I play which I had trouble running if you feel that you are being bottle necked by your phenom then upgrade it. As for SLI not every game supports SLI.
---
gamers paradise