This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do so many people think Amnesia is scary?

#61DiviDudePosted 10/6/2013 3:10:15 PM(edited)
I've said it before, I'll say it again: for a horror game to be scary, it needs to be played properly. In particular, the player needs to have a willingness to be scared, much like how certain fantastic fiction requires a willing suspension of disbelief.

I've seen people claim Amnesia isn't scary, and then I watched them playing it. Once on a laptop with the lights on in mid day through his laptop speakers. It's no wonder he wasn't scared by it.

Another friend made no real attempt to avoid the monsters or anything. He'd just run right into them, sprinting and entirely care free, stare them in the face, die, and move on like it was nothing. "Oh well" is not the kind of attitude that betrays a willingness to be scared. Hell, if you even know what the monster's face looks like, then you're not playing it right.

It's all about the player attitude going in, more so than any other genre. And that's why the scariness factor varies so widely - because we have some people who are smart enough to play a horror game properly, and some who aren't.
#62BogePosted 10/6/2013 4:50:22 PM
It's because the "horror" games are so few that one that has ANY TINY BIT of some scary stuff to it is considered a scary game. Look at FEAR. Not scary, not a horror game. There are a few jumpy parts though, so everyone lists it as a "scary game".

Go play Fatal Frame if you want a scary game.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#63Fade2black001(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 6:55:04 PM
Boge posted...
It's because the "horror" games are so few that one that has ANY TINY BIT of some scary stuff to it is considered a scary game. Look at FEAR. Not scary, not a horror game. There are a few jumpy parts though, so everyone lists it as a "scary game".

When I first played FEAR when it was new all them years ago. I was freaked out by it.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#64Tyranius2Posted 10/7/2013 5:03:13 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
Boge posted...

When I first played FEAR when it was new all them years ago. I was freaked out by it.

lol
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#65brainlackPosted 10/7/2013 9:12:21 AM
clschneider1990 posted...
and who is this Jennifer?

rule of rose
---
playing re6 with 8x sparse grid ss with 32xs(2x2 ss + 8 ms)+ mixed sample x128 + 32 forced anisotropic then I hear ps4 is powerful than my pc
#66Knighted DragonPosted 10/7/2013 9:20:28 AM
You have to want to be scared to be scared by any kind of work of fiction, it's as simple as that. If you go in trying to be macho and not be scared, no game, book, movie, or haunted house will scare you. If you go in wanting to have fun and don't try to keep from feeling fear you will have way more fun and actually be scared. Play Amnesia in a dark room with headphones and actually want to be scared and the game will be terrifying
---
Matthew 7:21
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2492/gyenyame.jpg
#67nighthawk16Posted 10/7/2013 9:39:57 AM
Now people are hitting it on the head. It takes an active imagination and a submissive attitude to experience fear from a work of fiction.

For instance, the original Dead Space. Certainly not the scariest game, but it had a great atmosphere and some quality jump scares. But the only way to really appreciate any of that is to slowly pace yourself through the levels, soaking in every rattle, creek, and groan, allowing yourself to experience the dread of a potentially deadly encounter every time you round a corner. And when you've sunk yourself into that feeling, that's when it hits you, when your heart quickens and your fingers fumble and the adrenaline surges. That's the feeling you play for, but it never comes if you try to best it with agression or apathy.

And also, has others have said, the environment you play in factors heavily. Audio is pretty much 70-80% of all horror, because it submerges you in a three dimensional space, its what transports you. Surround sound or quality headphones are a must. Darkness and isolation are next, where you have to bleed out any conscious awareness you may have that you are not in any real danger, but safely secluded in your bedroom/livingroom.
---
Well if it isn't fat stinking billygoat Billyboy in poison. How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip-oil?
#68Relentless639Posted 10/7/2013 9:47:32 AM
Because of the surge of casuals lately and because Amnesia somehow was able to become popular or whatever.
These people are so easy to impress that it hurts to watch.

I mean, have you ever been so frustrated by an enemy or boss that you begin shacking in a nervwreck because of how annoying/hard it is?
When you have had to deal with lots of gaming ordeals and you can look past the horror layer of an horror game, nothing can really provoke fear upon you.

This is why I like Silent Hill 1..4 and games that rely on presenting an experience rather than try to scare me. At least I can go to bed thinking about the victims and events that took place in these games and feel bad about it on long term.
#69Meta_BitPosted 10/7/2013 9:54:51 AM
Javelin posted...
Apparently you don't understand what the word "or" means. Work on that, then try again.

Kind of sad how simple logic gets lost on people. They really need to teach this as a fundamental subject in schools.
---
---