This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are the previous XCOM games better than XCOM:EU?

#1pokemanxPosted 10/5/2013 11:15:18 AM(edited)
I saw this on 4chan's /v/ thread:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ECHYTKY/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00ECHYTKY&linkCode=as2&tag=ablegamers01-20

I finished XCOM:EU and it was fun but quite easy. would I enjoy the previous titles more?
---
Therefore I am....yes yes...
#2ElDudorinoPosted 10/5/2013 11:22:41 AM
I think the first two games are definitely better but they're pretty aged so getting into them might be a bit off-putting. They're also a LOT harder.

There are annoying things about both games but I like them more because combat is MUCH less restricted and resource management is less obnoxious. Also, the terror/panic system in EU is dumb.
#3lionheart5656Posted 10/5/2013 11:58:09 AM
Purists will say previous ones were better. Sane people will say the newer one is.

Purists like the old ones better because you had to literally control every little aspect of your defense. I found it extremely tedious. Think of it like Civilization but with way more things that you need to control and all of it being completely mandatory.

Sane people find the new one better because it is pretty much the old X-Com without all the tediousness. The only thing I dislike is how they gimped air fights by making it a one v one thing and also that you can't stop abductions for the most part.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#4ElDudorinoPosted 10/5/2013 12:09:50 PM(edited)
Oh, good, the "correct" opinion has arrived so other opinions don't matter.

I like the old games better because you have absolute freedom in combat. You move your dudes where you want, when you want, facing the way you want, based on your action points, and when you want to shoot a position you click on it and fire and your aim stat and the weapon's accuracy take care of the rest. If you want to take cover, you walk next to something that looks solid and use the crouch button. In X:EU it's all about "cover" and "partial cover" objects, and you have to move and act in a certain order based on the system of "full actions" and "half actions" and other silliness. In X:EU, you have to see an enemy to fire on it. In the older games, you fire wherever the hell you want - which also means you're allowed to blow holes in walls by firing at them (a crucial strategic element), whereas in X:EU you can only blow holes in walls on accident by missing a shot unless you're using explosives. I think combat in the older games is way better than in the new one.

Then there's the other stuff I mentioned; resource management is a pain in the new one because you never have enough alien plastics early on to do any of your research or build your next mission objective and you're constantly told "Three countries are being attacked. WHICH ONE WILL YOU DEFEND???" whereas in the old game you can go on missions almost all the time so getting resources is easy provided you're willing to go for it, and you can have as many Skyrangers and soldiers as you want so you can go after as many simultaneous objectives as you deem appropriate. Much better system.

Also, I don't understand what this means: "Purists like the old ones better because you had to literally control every little aspect of your defense. I found it extremely tedious. Think of it like Civilization but with way more things that you need to control and all of it being completely mandatory." There's nothing like Civilization anywhere in UFO/X-Com 1 and X-Com 2. I mean, you DO choose a location for each base and put buildings in it, but you basically do that in X-Com: Enemy Unknown too, so that part isn't really different. What do you mean about controlling every little aspect of your defense?
#5ZukkusPosted 10/5/2013 12:20:04 PM
It basically boils down to how much micromanagement you want to do.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#6Kosba_2142Posted 10/5/2013 12:25:14 PM
ElDudorino posted...
Oh, good, the "correct" opinion has arrived so other opinions don't matter.

I like the old games better because you have absolute freedom in combat. You move your dudes where you want, when you want, facing the way you want, based on your action points, and when you want to shoot a position you click on it and fire and your aim stat and the weapon's accuracy take care of the rest. If you want to take cover, you walk next to something that looks solid and use the crouch button. In X:EU it's all about "cover" and "partial cover" objects, and you have to move and act in a certain order based on the system of "full actions" and "half actions" and other silliness. In X:EU, you have to see an enemy to fire on it. In the older games, you fire wherever the hell you want - which also means you're allowed to blow holes in walls by firing at them (a crucial strategic element), whereas in X:EU you can only blow holes in walls on accident by missing a shot unless you're using explosives. I think combat in the older games is way better than in the new one.

Then there's the other stuff I mentioned; resource management is a pain in the new one because you never have enough alien plastics early on to do any of your research or build your next mission objective and you're constantly told "Three countries are being attacked. WHICH ONE WILL YOU DEFEND???" whereas in the old game you can go on missions almost all the time so getting resources is easy provided you're willing to go for it, and you can have as many Skyrangers and soldiers as you want so you can go after as many simultaneous objectives as you deem appropriate. Much better system.

Also, I don't understand what this means: "Purists like the old ones better because you had to literally control every little aspect of your defense. I found it extremely tedious. Think of it like Civilization but with way more things that you need to control and all of it being completely mandatory." There's nothing like Civilization anywhere in UFO/X-Com 1 and X-Com 2. I mean, you DO choose a location for each base and put buildings in it, but you basically do that in X-Com: Enemy Unknown too, so that part isn't really different. What do you mean about controlling every little aspect of your defense?

^ This so much. I have an iPhone clone of the old Xcom, and my god its amazing. Its so much more fun because there's so much strategy involved. One of my favorite things is that you start off ON the skyranger, and you can use the cargo door and landing gear as cover when you rush out and assume covering positions. Overall its just MUCH better.
---
CATS. That's about it honestly...
#7TimePharaohPosted 10/5/2013 5:07:58 PM
lionheart5656 posted...
Purists will say previous ones were better. Sane people will say the newer one is.

I think you mean "casuals who didn't know about the series before EU".
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#8happyscrub1Posted 10/5/2013 5:18:37 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
lionheart5656 posted...

I think you mean "casuals who didn't know about the series before EU".

Casuals: Most over used gaming word by elitist.
---
Never forget.... Building #7
#9TimePharaohPosted 10/5/2013 5:20:20 PM
Are you saying a term used to describe a vast majority of stupid people, is used a lot?

You don't say. "Smart: a word often used to describe intelligent people"

Derpfaqs
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#10BogePosted 10/5/2013 11:15:35 PM
Just go play Jagged Alliance 2. Same style game, but much deeper, interesting, and definitely better looking than the old Xcom games.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.