This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My computer is freezing every 10 seconds or so, is this a hardware problem?

#1warior55Posted 10/5/2013 12:10:01 PM
I just used my PC for the first time in about a month (I've been away from home) and I did two things: I updated Firefox and I installed the 327.23 nVidia drivers. Suddenly my PC is freezing and having weird problems, like the mouse cursor isn't changing to the hand with the finger when I hover over links and stuff like that. My temperatures are fine and I don't think any of my parts are malfunctioning. Is this because of the new drivers? Note that I'm using a GTX 460, so maybe it's not meant to run on the new drivers?

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

(Also, I tried rolling back to the 314.22 drivers and it wouldn't install. I got an error saying that it couldn't detect any compatible hardware.)
#2KillerzOverHerePosted 10/5/2013 12:12:23 PM
I heard that the newer drivers for Nvidia don't work well with the previous cards, so yeah I'd roll back.
#3KillerzOverHerePosted 10/5/2013 12:13:02 PM
KillerzOverHere posted...
I heard that the newer drivers for Nvidia don't work well with the previous cards, so yeah I'd roll back.

try fresh install of drivers?
#4FaPaThYPosted 10/5/2013 12:13:41 PM
If it only happens when you're using FireFox, did you update all your add-ons?

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/
---
"Because I realize I want you. Guts." | "....... Are you a ****?"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Malicii/
#5warior55(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2013 12:29:17 PM
Ok, so the craziest thing just happened. I started installing the 320.49 drivers and during the installation, the display stopped working so I assumed it was just reloading everything on the new drivers. I waited a bit and then I got a black screen of death. Then I restarted my computer and it's now working fine. I looked in the nvidia control panel and it says I'm running 320.49 .

What the hell? Am I good to go, or am I taking a risk by running on drivers that may not have installed correctly?

I'm really confused...
#6electroflamePosted 10/5/2013 12:31:46 PM
Ok, so the craziest thing just happened. I started installing the 320.49 drivers and during the installation, the display stopped working so I assumed it was just reloading everything on the new drivers. I waited a bit and then I got a black screen of death. Then I restarted my computer and it's now working fine. I looked in the nvidia control panel and it says I'm running 320.49 .

What the hell? Am I good to go, or am I taking a risk by running on drivers that may not have installed correctly?

I'm really confused...

It might have installed correctly, since during driver installation the screen can black out for a bit. I've never had a machine crash during a video driver install, though, so if it were me I'd make a recovery point through Windows and then reinstall the driver to be sure.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame