This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Neverwinter Nights 1, or Neverwinter Nights 2?

#11happyscrub1Posted 10/5/2013 8:00:30 PM
oh..and nwn 2 is a cluster @#$% with lots of bugs and poorly optimized.
---
Never forget.... Building #7
#12Reverend_WilsonPosted 10/5/2013 9:16:47 PM
IMO, NWN1's OC is very underrated. Well, I thought it was cool storyline wise, but I do understand why people hate it. THe pacing just felt weird.
---
Q Boned
#13RequiemPosted 10/5/2013 9:37:03 PM
NWN1 OC was pretty bland. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't memorable, either. I always viewed it as a "demo" for the people to see what they could do with the construction set.

Now, what the developers did in patches for NWN1 was nothing short of amazing. So much extra content created for modders... just unbelievable.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#14NingishzidaPosted 10/5/2013 10:43:25 PM
Neverwinter Nights 1, or Neverwinter Nights 2?

For official modules the clear winner is NWN2, by reason of Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir.

What MotB offers is an original setting, unique plot, supreme writing, characterizations (Kaelyn/Myrkul, wow), lore, aesthetics and mechanics (spirit meter, which mechanically enforces morality C&C).

SoZ offers a traditional D&D experience, where you create a party and adventure thru three seperated sandbox areas (with realtime overland map), raiding dungeons, killing roaming foes, crafting uber-weapons, building a castle and running a mercant empire while unveiling a conspiracy that threatens those regions and the world at large.

There is nothing approaching those two in NWN1, in official modules. But NWN1 has the best mods, stuff by Abaddon, Adam Miller, Alazander, Gagne and Akkei is top tier. Darkness Over Daggerford is like a free Baldur's Gate in 3d.

Harp & Crysanthemum and Subtlety of Thay are top adventure modules for NWN2. These modules are so good you forget you're playing NWN series.

tl'dr

NWN2 has the best official content; NWN1 for mods.
#15kobalobasileusPosted 10/5/2013 10:51:26 PM
This is a confusing thread.

The people bashing NWN for being a hack 'n slash Diablo clone seem to be confusing it with the Icewind Dale games. While NWN isn't as good as Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 or Planescape Torment, I consider it better than its sequel.

NWN2 just didn't do it for me, but it has been so long since I've played either game, I can't remember what I liked about the first and disliked about the second.

Drat.
#16AlleRacingPosted 10/5/2013 11:01:25 PM
NWN2 for MotB alone. Some of the best writing in gaming, up there with Planescape.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#17machetemanPosted 10/5/2013 11:04:47 PM
happyscrub1 posted...
oh..and nwn 2 is a cluster @#$% with lots of bugs and poorly optimized.

this is whats keeping me from playing MotB. I can usually deal with games that are ugly, they usually run good. NWN2 is ugly AND runs like crap.
#18dekouPosted 10/6/2013 1:34:36 AM
NWN2 runs fine with the latest patches. It used to be buggy, but isn't anymore IMO.

I'd say NWN2. NWN1 has some good fan-made content, but its official campaign sucks and it's a D&D game without a party.