This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How many video cards are in your desktop or laptop?

#21Rexdragon125Posted 10/6/2013 9:29:25 AM
Does PhysX even have a point in games other than extra particles yet?
#22Trance_Fan(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 9:46:33 AM
johnny_pay posted...
i have 3 GPU's in my pc, my gtx 590 and then the onboard.

your on board doesn't work when you have a dedicated gpu
---
i think it's nice
#23MarikhenPosted 10/6/2013 4:48:06 PM(edited)
Rexdragon125 posted...
Does PhysX even have a point in games other than extra particles yet?

Borderlands 2 uses it for several things.

Melting enemies with acid/corrosive damage, detonating slag or acid cans, and opening up port-a-potties with PhysX on High will net you lots of fluids that move around and can be interacted with by the player. There's even one port-a-potty that is, or at least was, glitched so that if you can back and forth across an invisible line it would constantly spew out sludge thereby letting you coat several square yards of game world with it.

One of the "big things" about Borderlands 2 was the destructible, moving cloth. Pennants, flags, awnings, wall hangings, and so on that flapped in the breeze, let players move through them, and could be shot to ribbons.

Another part of Borderlands 2 that uses PhysX relates to weapon/world interaction. Specifically shooting many if not most or even all surfaces generates debris that persists in the world for a bit of time. I believe that with PhysX on High your guns generate "brass" which also persists on the ground for some period before disappearing.

Batman: Arkham Asylum also uses PhysX for moving cloth as well as papers flying/swirling around when you move through them. Sacred 2 does something similar to the paper thing with leaves when you have PhysX enabled. That is, of course, in addition to somewhat greater particle effects of course. :-D

Metro 2033 also allows for hardware PhysX support, but the primary difference I saw was that when PhysX was enabled frame rates during scenarios where several grenades were being tossed around improved significantly. I couldn't really notice much difference at all in how the game worked other than that which, all things considered, might actually be a good thing. It could be taken as a sign that everyone got essentially the same game with all the same core effects, and it was just that people without nVidia/Aegia PPUs either had reduced frame rates or reduced quality in the effects present as opposed to those effects being removed outright.

Beyond those games, however, I don't have a clue what hardware-assisted PhysX is used for. It could be little more than particles, but I wouldn't know. Those games at least offer a little more than basic particle effects with hardware PhysX.

Trance_Fan posted...
johnny_pay posted...
i have 3 GPU's in my pc, my gtx 590 and then the onboard.

your on board doesn't work when you have a dedicated gpu

That actually isn't necessarily true. Some ASRock boards allow you to use the onboard GPU in conjunction with a compatible discrete GPU in a quasi-CrossFire setup. While it's a rarity it isn't a guarantee.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.