This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

lol steam os/box

#21DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/6/2013 7:19:57 AM
arleas posted...
I think it's slightly more than an experiment...I mean, I think there's a real desire on their part to get away from Windows as the ONLY gaming OS, which is why they've been working on Mac and Linux... I really do hope they can succeed at least with the SteamOS. I'm sure steamboxes will get the same crowd who would go to Alienware or best buy to look for a PC. I highly doubt it'll catch on with the console crowd.

I only meant it was an experiment as in they have no idea how well it will take off. Its far from a sure thing and so many stars need to align before it has a chance to really make a mark. It's pretty clear what their intentions are and I think most pc gamers are either apathetic towards those intentions or all for it. The thing is they are throwing out an idea in a very serious manner in hopes that it catches the attention and interest of those that can actually make it a successful venture. Not just us consumers but the big wigs who are willing to look at the bigger picture as well.

I would buy a 'steambox' with a titan or future hardware if its the better deal or close to what I could build it for, especially if it came with any sort of warranty.

I guess the point is, Valve is seriously making waves right now and its up to us and the industry as a whole to determine if those waves are worth something more than just idle talk.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#22arleasPosted 10/6/2013 7:54:37 AM
I would buy a 'steambox' with a titan or future hardware if its the better deal or close to what I could build it for, especially if it came with any sort of warranty.

Yeah, everything hinges on price for the performance. If I can build the same thing or better for the same price, then there's no reason to think of getting it. It also depends a lot on who they're partnering up with for sales...if they could get in someplace like Walmart, Target, Best Buy, or any other place clueless people would shop, that would be a big help.
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#23DawnshadowPosted 10/6/2013 8:21:49 AM(edited)
Vs1991 posted...
if you got a pc why even consider it? you can run steam on windows...

why limit yourself to steam only when theres so much stuff a normal pc can do?

im sure youll be able to buy one of those controllers valve is making and should be able to use it on the games that are programmed to use it like on steam os.

Yes, the Steam controller will work in Windows.

The thing is, Linux-- which SteamOS is-- will do pretty much anything Windows can do outside of gaming. You won't be limited to Steam games and programs only. In Valve's tests, they got higher frames per second with Linux as their OS over Windows-- there is a gaming advantage to using Linux (source: http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/ ) Linux also is free and open source, as opposed to the $100 or so you have to pay for a Windows license.

And if you really want Windows on your Steambox, you can set it up to dual boot.

The main reason why the vast majority of gamers use Windows is because most games are developed only for Windows because most gamers use Windows. With SteamOS as a thing, more games might get developed for Linux, which might lead to more people using Linux as their main OS.

My computer's showing its age; if these are about the same cost as what I would pay to upgrade my computer, I'll probably try one and just set it to dual boot.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#24bobhome2Posted 10/6/2013 9:30:33 AM
Dawnshadow posted...
Vs1991 posted...
if you got a pc why even consider it? you can run steam on windows...

why limit yourself to steam only when theres so much stuff a normal pc can do?

im sure youll be able to buy one of those controllers valve is making and should be able to use it on the games that are programmed to use it like on steam os.

Yes, the Steam controller will work in Windows.

The thing is, Linux-- which SteamOS is-- will do pretty much anything Windows can do outside of gaming. You won't be limited to Steam games and programs only. In Valve's tests, they got higher frames per second with Linux as their OS over Windows-- there is a gaming advantage to using Linux (source: http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/ ) Linux also is free and open source, as opposed to the $100 or so you have to pay for a Windows license.

And if you really want Windows on your Steambox, you can set it up to dual boot.

The main reason why the vast majority of gamers use Windows is because most games are developed only for Windows because most gamers use Windows. With SteamOS as a thing, more games might get developed for Linux, which might lead to more people using Linux as their main OS.

My computer's showing its age; if these are about the same cost as what I would pay to upgrade my computer, I'll probably try one and just set it to dual boot.

You make a good point about Windows developers, and the attempt to win people over to Linux. I really like Linux, actually, and would set up my other partition for it if more games were available. So I'm pretty happy about the concept of the Steam Machine, even if it is unlikely I'll buy one.