This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommend me a game that requires exploration

#1krossfirePosted 10/6/2013 5:40:33 AM
I'm thinking something like Bathesda games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout, but different. The exploration map must be really huge, and I don't want any kind of driving involved. Any chance of such game exist to pander to my discriminating taste?
---
Glorious PC Gaming Master Race!
Half Life 3 pls :(
#2AsucaHayashiPosted 10/6/2013 5:44:10 AM
stalker series.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#3ZeraphLordSPosted 10/6/2013 6:33:25 AM
AsucaHayashi posted...
stalker series.

came in to say this
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#4DiviDudePosted 10/6/2013 6:38:15 AM
Miasmata is a game of mostly exploration on a pretty big island. Worth checking out if you can find it on sale.
#5PhilOnDezPosted 10/6/2013 6:45:03 AM
What about Metroid Prime 1/2? The first is one of my favorite games ever. The game isn't huge, but I feel like they got the exploration aspect perfect. The entire game is open from the start aside from the door to the final area. The only thing keeping you from moving on is missing abilities like double jumping and the spider ball. If you turn off hints the game is basically pure exploration with only a handful of load screens. The only thing your ship is for is restocking health and ammo.

If you're patient and persistent (and willing to look up a few guides) you can get into several areas far earlier than intended. For example, you can get the plasma beam before the spider ball, which you're supposed to get the spider ball before getting the wave beam. That was one of my most satisfying moments in gaming.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#6Jason_25Posted 10/6/2013 7:53:47 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
What about Metroid Prime 1/2? The first is one of my favorite games ever.

I just tried this game based on your recommendation and the controls absolutely suck. It controls like Goldeneye or other dated 90's FPS games. No moving your aimpoint at all. I would not recommend this game to anyone.
#7Bikes-Posted 10/6/2013 8:00:07 AM
Minecraft
Terreria
To a degree Batman Arkham city (It's not nearly the same scale, but it's open world without cars)
Far Cry 3 (Although it has cars, still worth looking at though)
Dead Rising Series (Also has vehicles but you almost never use them)

The whole zombie survival genre also could work, although I don't really know any good ones, I'm hoping project zomboid turns out good, but we'll need to wait and see.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#8CircleOfManiasPosted 10/6/2013 8:12:16 AM
Jason_25 posted...
PhilOnDez posted...

I just tried this game based on your recommendation and the controls absolutely suck. It controls like Goldeneye or other dated 90's FPS games. No moving your aimpoint at all. I would not recommend this game to anyone.

Up until now, I thought it was impossible for a wrong opinion to exist, but here it is.
---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
#9_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/6/2013 8:14:57 AM(edited)
AsucaHayashi posted...
stalker series.

Agreed. Also obviously Skyrim. I think these are games in which exploration is both fun and rewarded.

There are also the "exloration light" games. They do not really have huge open worlds like the previous games mentioned but you are still encouraged to explore. Games like Far Cy 3, Bioshock infinite and the Batman games are an example. Though it is more of an item-hunt and about finding hidden goodies that it is about exploring the world. Though some people are really into that kind of thing.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#10HighOnPhazonPosted 10/6/2013 8:15:23 AM
CircleOfManias posted...
Jason_25 posted...
PhilOnDez posted...

Up until now, I thought it was impossible for a wrong opinion to exist, but here it is.

Came to post this. Anyone who dislikes Metroid Prime is suboptimal
---
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650