This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommend me a game that requires exploration

#51youngfossilPosted 10/7/2013 5:14:24 AM
_x_Phoenix_x_ posted...
ZeraphLordS posted...
krossfire posted...
The reason I haven't touch STALKER yet because it looks like a horror game, and I don't wanna get jumped on when I'm going on exploring places. The scare is cheap. Now, if it's something like Silent Hill then I might reconsider.

I don't really know how Silent Hill does things, but STALKER isn't linear, nor has any scripted scares. If you get scared in STALKER, it's because a bandit opened fire at midnight when it's dark out, or you see eyes staring back at you from the darkness. Hearing snuffling when you don't really know where it's coming from or how safe you are is pretty unnerving.

I can't normally play horror games, but the atmosphere in this one is incredible.

See this is all that puts me off. For some reason i get the feeling that Stalker will scare the **** out of me.

Is stalker basically fallout, but in Chernobyl?

It's more creepy than scary. Also it's nothing like fallout. No RPG elements
---
While I may not agree with your opinion, I will defend to the death your right to have it.
#52DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/7/2013 5:24:57 AM
_x_Phoenix_x_ posted...

Sort of but not really. Much less traditional rpg elements. You can find new weapons and items but there is no leveling of any sort. The environment is harsh and 'anomalies' that are littered everywhere while often nearly invisible can destroy you. If you start bleeding, you won't magically heal up and you will need bandages to stop the slow health drain.

Its not what I'd call realistic but it does give an impression that is a post apocalyptic sim. The AI generally speaking doesn't give 2 $#^#s about you as the player character and will treat you the same they would another ai character. Bandits will shoot on sight, other guys may trade with you or just brush you off. The side questing from what I remember was mostly just fluff and 'randomized' to an extent.

Its worth a shot and there are plenty of mods to cater to your needs. The thunderstorms at night are epic in the games. Nights are nearly pitch black and the lighting engine makes really good use of dynamic lighting.

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy56/DV8ing1/2011-11-06_00048.jpg
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy56/DV8ing1/2011-11-23_00002.jpg
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#53SlaynPosted 10/7/2013 5:29:49 AM
Terraria
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#54PanopictonguyPosted 10/7/2013 6:46:30 AM
jake-sf posted...
So what are we looking for here?

Metroid Prime, to me, is the real kind of deal. It has nothing in common with Elder Scrolls kind of exploration, which is incredibly bland. Thats just what sand boxes are.

Metroid Prime is how games should be done, but there's almost nothing like it.

So actual exploration is bland. Where as traversing mapped out corridors with a scanner to tell you what's important and what's not is not exciting?
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#55_x_Phoenix_x_Posted 10/7/2013 7:13:26 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
_x_Phoenix_x_ posted...

Sort of but not really. Much less traditional rpg elements. You can find new weapons and items but there is no leveling of any sort. The environment is harsh and 'anomalies' that are littered everywhere while often nearly invisible can destroy you. If you start bleeding, you won't magically heal up and you will need bandages to stop the slow health drain.

Its not what I'd call realistic but it does give an impression that is a post apocalyptic sim. The AI generally speaking doesn't give 2 $#^#s about you as the player character and will treat you the same they would another ai character. Bandits will shoot on sight, other guys may trade with you or just brush you off. The side questing from what I remember was mostly just fluff and 'randomized' to an extent.

Its worth a shot and there are plenty of mods to cater to your needs. The thunderstorms at night are epic in the games. Nights are nearly pitch black and the lighting engine makes really good use of dynamic lighting.

Cheers, that clears it up i guess. Whats the AI like? Can you sneak around at night and do things you wouldnt normally do during the day for fear of getting seen and whatnot?
---
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzekgzA5id1r2xo7ko1_400.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzb50dIAEt1r35335o1_400.gif
#56DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/7/2013 7:19:03 AM
Like every cult classic, the ai is spotty at best. I recommend you start your first run with the 'complete' mods for the games. They fix quite a few bugs, improve the visuals a bit, and don't alter the gameplay all that much from a vanilla run. If you enjoy your time and feel like your up for more of a challenge, try out the 'misery' mods later.
Play STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl first. Clear sky is the weakest of the three but is the second title, and call of pripyat is the final game in the series.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
#57youngfossilPosted 10/7/2013 7:33:29 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
Like every cult classic, the ai is spotty at best. I recommend you start your first run with the 'complete' mods for the games. They fix quite a few bugs, improve the visuals a bit, and don't alter the gameplay all that much from a vanilla run. If you enjoy your time and feel like your up for more of a challenge, try out the 'misery' mods later.
Play STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl first. Clear sky is the weakest of the three but is the second title, and call of pripyat is the final game in the series.

I'd recommend CoP first. Just because it's the best and its a prequel
---
While I may not agree with your opinion, I will defend to the death your right to have it.
#58DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/7/2013 7:38:17 AM
youngfossil posted...
Just because it's the best and its a prequel

The first part is why I don't. It is the best and the first game might feel a little dated and or feel like its missing a few of the nicer additions.

SOC can stand on its own easily and no one forgets their first time in the experimental bunkers.
---
#59Ch3wyPosted 10/7/2013 7:49:51 AM
_x_Phoenix_x_ posted...
DV8ingSources posted...
_x_Phoenix_x_ posted...

Cheers, that clears it up i guess. Whats the AI like? Can you sneak around at night and do things you wouldnt normally do during the day for fear of getting seen and whatnot?

If you find a suit with night vision early enough the AI can't see you at all in night unless they're shining their flashlight on you. If you don't and only have a flashlight you're pretty much screwed.

Later on a lot of the enemies have night vision.

Overall the AI is pretty bad though. They'd do things like randomly shoot towards your general direction when you're inside a building and they hear you, even though they are in separate rooms.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#60FlareZeroPosted 10/7/2013 7:51:18 AM
Just Cause 2.
---
You like it or you don't, but i hate people saying it's 'an acquired taste." That's just a cop out. - bookwormbabe29 on beer.