This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think Valve will make their games PC exclusive again?

#1AsucaHayashiPosted 10/6/2013 7:04:11 AM
for steambox purposes obviously and with certain perks that haven't been utilized much before like native splitscreen gameplay etc.

i can imagine that if they know their ****, the steambox would be bundled with the complete valve catalogue or even HL3 as an exclusive or whatever.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#2AsellusPosted 10/6/2013 7:06:44 AM
Dota 2 is pc exclusive so... possibly so?
#3AsucaHayashi(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 7:14:24 AM
well, the most standard formula for mobas are exclusive to PC in general but i'm thinking more like their FPS for the most part.

if they could pull something like 4-player splitscreen off(which should be easily possible considering the hardware available) with L4D3 or whatever as exclusive, it would be just glorious.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#4godplaysSNESPosted 10/6/2013 7:26:57 AM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Valve took a step further and made their games exclusive for Steam OS.

Valve may see it that it's worth to take the losses by dropping Windows if Steam OS gains marketshare.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#5AsellusPosted 10/6/2013 7:34:15 AM
^ I don't really see the point of that. It's not like they make any more money from a sale to a player running SteamOS than they do someone running Steam on Windows. I'm sure they will want to promote it but I'd take a guess on stuff like they've already done with TF2 - specific freebies in certain games you get for running them on SteamOS.

Particularly if OS-level tinkering really can yield superior performance and lower latency than you get on Windows (A claim I don't find hard to believe in the slightest) I doubt they'd even *need* to do anything else to get people to try it out.
#6arleasPosted 10/6/2013 7:51:21 AM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Valve took a step further and made their games exclusive for Steam OS.

That would be the dumbest move of the century. What everyone keeps forgetting is that the steam machine is NOT A CONSOLE. There are no royalties/licensing fees paid to Valve for games made for the OS. There is absolutely ZERO motivation for Valve to close off everything as a "SteamOS exclusive" because all that does is limit the market for their games.

The only reason why Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony fight for Console exclusives is because they have a vested interest in drawing more people to buy their console, and if the same game is available on multiple platforms, there's less of a reason to purchase one over the other.

Just about all the stupid comments about SteamOS and the Steam machines I've seen have been made as if Valve was entering the console market. All a Steam Machine is, is a prebuilt PC with a free OS made specifically for games. It's not a console. Also, SteamOS is based on Linux, and I don't think they'd have the right to charge a licensing fee even if they were dumb enough to try it. Valve would have to create an entirely new OS from the ground up before they could think of doing that.
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#7godplaysSNESPosted 10/6/2013 7:57:21 AM(edited)
Valve makes tons of money by selling others' games. Ever since Steam got big, Valve hasn't made their big money by selling their own games.

While requiring Steam OS would be a bit extreme, it isn't too fundamentally different from when they forced people to Steam with Half-Life 2.

Valve hates that Microsoft introduced the Windows store with Windows 8, and is now pushing for getting rid of the dependency of Windows. And Valve knows that people need to be convinced to make Steam OS their gaming OS.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#8_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/6/2013 9:18:34 AM(edited)
Asellus posted...
Dota 2 is pc exclusive so... possibly so?

I think it depends on the genre. Some games do not really translate to the consoles. That includes RTS and all genres and games that share similarities in controls/interface/gameplay to this genre like MOBA, turn based strategy games etc.

So while a games in the portal and half life series will of course be ported, some others will not.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#9YuniuninuniunPosted 10/6/2013 9:31:43 AM
The real question is does Valve want to push the industry forward in towards their ideals or do they want money? If they want money then multiplatform it up, if not then they'll try to make things exclusive for their products as much as possible.
---
Playing: RaiderZ, La Mulana, Dota 2, Dragon's Crown
#10AnnihilatedPosted 10/6/2013 9:59:48 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
Valve makes tons of money by selling others' games. Ever since Steam got big, Valve hasn't made their big money by selling their own games.

While requiring Steam OS would be a bit extreme, it isn't too fundamentally different from when they forced people to Steam with Half-Life 2.

Valve hates that Microsoft introduced the Windows store with Windows 8, and is now pushing for getting rid of the dependency of Windows. And Valve knows that people need to be convinced to make Steam OS their gaming OS.

Uh, yeah it IS fundamentally different, because Steam was free and available to all and the Steam Machines will cost at least a few hundred dollars.