This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think Valve will make their games PC exclusive again?

#11godplaysSNESPosted 10/6/2013 9:03:02 AM
Annihilated posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
Valve makes tons of money by selling others' games. Ever since Steam got big, Valve hasn't made their big money by selling their own games.

While requiring Steam OS would be a bit extreme, it isn't too fundamentally different from when they forced people to Steam with Half-Life 2.

Valve hates that Microsoft introduced the Windows store with Windows 8, and is now pushing for getting rid of the dependency of Windows. And Valve knows that people need to be convinced to make Steam OS their gaming OS.

Uh, yeah it IS fundamentally different, because Steam was free and available to all and the Steam Machines will cost at least a few hundred dollars.

SteamOS is also free. SteamOS can be installed on any PC, just like Steam could.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#12KaiRyusakiPosted 10/6/2013 10:32:42 AM
Where is this "again?" part coming from?

There's no point in making anything exclusive.

Dota2 is exclusive because it cant be played with a controller
and Alien Swarm would probably be on consoles but I bet sony and microsoft are against the idea of free games with no microtransactions
#13arleasPosted 10/6/2013 11:38:28 AM
SteamOS is also free. SteamOS can be installed on any PC, just like Steam could.

The thing here is that steamOS isLinux... how exactly would Valve make it so whatever game (HL3 for example) would **ONLY** play on SteamOS and not Ubuntu? Why would you waste your time trying to force people to use their flavor of Linux in the first place?

The idea of exclusives is a console user's* mindset. Ya gotta figure out how to keep them confined to making purchases on that one console (or get them to pay for a completely different machine)... You certainly don't want them spending their money elsewhere.... Except as you already noted: Valve makes a f***-load of cash off of Steam already.

What Valve wants to do instead is get EVERYTHING on SteamOS. Make it more appealing than windows because it'll be free and will (hopefully) run all the games and better/faster than windows. If they can do that then everyone will at least dual boot into SteamOS if they don't convert to linux entirely... And since the OS is free then a steambox will look that much more appealing when you don't have to factor in the cost of the OS (not to mention all the bloatware they put on brand new windows machines).

*I could have said "Console Peasant" here, but I didn't
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg
#14BogePosted 10/6/2013 12:56:52 PM
Steambox bundled with the complete Valve catalog. Hmmm...interesting. That could certainly help it's appeal.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#15xanthan1Posted 10/6/2013 1:14:27 PM
Annihilated posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
Valve makes tons of money by selling others' games. Ever since Steam got big, Valve hasn't made their big money by selling their own games.

While requiring Steam OS would be a bit extreme, it isn't too fundamentally different from when they forced people to Steam with Half-Life 2.

Valve hates that Microsoft introduced the Windows store with Windows 8, and is now pushing for getting rid of the dependency of Windows. And Valve knows that people need to be convinced to make Steam OS their gaming OS.

Uh, yeah it IS fundamentally different, because Steam was free and available to all and the Steam Machines will cost at least a few hundred dollars.

.........you do get Steam OS is free, right?
#16Lazy_GitPosted 10/6/2013 1:18:55 PM
arleas posted...
What Valve wants to do instead is get EVERYTHING on SteamOS. Make it more appealing than windows because it'll be free and will (hopefully) run all the games and better/faster than windows. If they can do that then everyone will at least dual boot into SteamOS if they don't convert to linux entirely... And since the OS is free then a steambox will look that much more appealing when you don't have to factor in the cost of the OS (not to mention all the bloatware they put on brand new windows machines).

*I could have said "Console Peasant" here, but I didn't

What percentage of the PC gaming population would you estimate to be willing to dual boot in order to play games?

I can't see my girlfriend's sims-addicted sister bothering to learn how to use linux or partition a hard drive... I know it feels like all PC gamers are hardcore, but that's only because no-one else posts on forums about it unless they're wondering why their game crashed etc.

I think the appeal of consoles is that you don't have to worry about things like that if all you want is to sit on your couch and play games. I think the Steambox is attempting to grab both hardcore and casual markets at the same time. What will be interesting to see is how steam circumvent the problem of obsolete hardware - in a few year's time when the latest games require better GPU's to handle 4k+ resolutions (or possibly even run comfortably at low?), how will they convince/ enable general ignorant consumers to upgrade their hardware? Sell them an entire new box? Offer a discount scheme? What if the motherboard/ PSU becomes too old to offer easy upgrades like simply swapping a graphics card? Could they even offer an upgrade service whereby you send them your machine and they do the work for you?

It may seem crazy to us on the forums, but a large amount of people these days still believe that computers are made of spider's webs and magic, not to mention the fact that even basic general computer maintenance to the uninitiated seems like a tedious, boring waste of time.

These thoughts are just based on the assumption that Valve would need to reach out and appeal to the largest possible audience. I can't envision even Valve convincing an average windows user to try another operating system. 'Dual boot' would just sound like technobabble to the uninitiated - these are people that think Macs aren't the same as PC's and don't even understand fully what an OS is or does.
---
i7 920 | GTX 580 | 6Gb DDR3 1066 | Asus P6T SE | Corsair 750 W | 1.5Tb Seagate |
#17arleasPosted 10/6/2013 1:45:12 PM
What percentage of the PC gaming population would you estimate to be willing to dual boot in order to play games?

It depends on how much better the OS is for games...and yeah, it's probably going to be the hardcore crowd that dual boots, not the average person. Since Valve isn't going to be selling the hardware themselves, it's possible that a computer manufacturer could throw together a dream box (steam machine + windows) and have a simple utility to assist in switching between modes...

But really, dual booting isn't that hard. Getting it set up will be more than most people will want to do but I figure once it's set up, anyone can press a button during reboot to change which OS is active.

I think the appeal of consoles is that you don't have to worry about things like that if all you want is to sit on your couch and play games.

Yeah, unless there's something really revolutionary about SteamOS I can't see how they're really going to convince the console crowd to buy a steambox.

how will they convince/ enable general ignorant consumers to upgrade their hardware?

Make them bring it in for service? Either that or they could have a trade-in setup where they bring in their old box and walk out with a new one (and then the shop could sell the old one or add new parts for the next guy who wanted to trade in?) Those would be my best guesses.

I can't envision even Valve convincing an average windows user to try another operating system.

If it's just Linux, then yeah... there's not many people who would go for that. I guess that's why Valve is packing in a bunch of fluff like netflix and other crap on top of the games. I'll have to see it for myself to know for sure. Maybe it's really slick and runs well, and maybe it's a turd with a glossy coat on top.
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#18Fade2black001Posted 10/6/2013 1:58:58 PM
If Valve is smart they wouldn't.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#19Darkcloud20Posted 10/6/2013 4:47:12 PM
Why is everybody completely ignoring that valve doesn't want to get people to buy a steambox, they want them to use Steam OS. They stated right in the beginning that they won't put out a steambox (well besides the 300 protoypes) they will allow other companies to ship prebuild PCs with Steam OS as a "steambox".
---
http://raptr.com/Darkcloud1987
#20halomonkey1_3_5Posted 10/6/2013 5:18:14 PM
Darkcloud20 posted...
Why is everybody completely ignoring that valve doesn't want to get people to buy a steambox, they want them to use Steam OS. They stated right in the beginning that they won't put out a steambox (well besides the 300 protoypes) they will allow other companies to ship prebuild PCs with Steam OS as a "steambox".

they dont even care if you use SteamOS, they just want you using Steam. If thats the Steam client for Mac/PC/Linux or via the Steambox running SteamOS, it literally doesnt matter for Valve. They just want you buying games via Steam.
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest