This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

so does upscaling/downscaling really make something look better?

#11KillerzOverHere(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 8:50:59 AM
KillerzOverHere posted...
-CJF- posted...
Upscaling will always make images look pixelated / blurry while downscaling will always make them look sharper. Now, rendering in higher resolution is a whole different story. Most modern games can be rendered in high resolution, as can 3D elements in emulators (see PCSX2 and Dolphin for good examples). Old games and emulators sometimes make use of shaders such as xBRZ and HQ4X with nearest-neighbor algorithms to make the image less blurry and pixelated when dealing with 2D elements, or filters such as scanlines which make the effects of upscaling less noticeable.

say i'm watching a 1440p video on youtube on a 720p monitor (god forbid) So the video downscales to 720p, but it looks sharper then if i set the video to 720p correct?

anyone?
#12DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/6/2013 9:17:48 AM(edited)
It might. I don't know exactly how gpu downscaling works in a situation like that. In fullscreen mode the gpu may work like supersampling does and average out the extra pixels. It may also just take every 2nd pixel of every second line which could actually result in an inferior image. I'm not exactly sure.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1