This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Getting files off a hard drive that wont get power?

#1silvergokuZPosted 10/6/2013 7:31:28 AM
What happened was it was working but was connected to laptop by usb and the cable was too short and it slipped and after that it seemed to stop working on the laptop but worked fine on pc(first indication of power issue) then I moved it to get at desktop and it slipped and hit floor again but again did work though after about a hour I started hearing sounds, not quite clicks more like it gets a little power but not enough to boot, it makes sounds 5-10 times then stops and bios refuses to see it but when connected to usb it makes the usb connected sound but goes no further

Luckily I just upgraded my laptops hard drive to a 1tb so have a spare 320 gig drive lying about but I need to get the files off the old one as its about 120 gig of games.

Is there a way to feed it enough power just to get the games off it i.e a powered usb hub since even connected to power supply its not getting enough power at moment but when connected via usb to a mobile phone usb plug and in wall socket it seems to get enough power(but then I am using the only port)
---
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.
#2silvergokuZ(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 1:21:46 PM
After listening a bit closer its like a split second of power then it clicks as if its powering down and goes in a loop
---
#3ben_not_bennyPosted 10/6/2013 2:23:33 PM
You probably already broke it beyond repair by dropping it twice. Good luck fetching the data of the HDD.
---
ROG Maximus VI Impact | i7-4770K | GTX 780 [3GB] | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB OCZ-Vertex 4 | 3x3TB WD Greens | XFX 750W | CM Elite 120 Adv.
PSN: z35001vr
#4Lazy_GitPosted 10/6/2013 2:54:24 PM
Assuming it is portable and powered by USB, if you are lucky the only thing broken is the connection between the USB socket and the drive. If this is the case, removing the Harddrive and using a Sata cable + power/ IDE + 4pin connected directly to your motherboard + power supply should be a workable solution. You could also use an external case which basically does the same thing and allows you to use a USB connection to your computer, while possibly needing an extra 12v power source.

If the actual power connection to the Harddrive itself is damaged, I'm afraid it sounds as though you would need to either somehow repair the broken connection with solder or conductive paint (if you're lucky).

Or it means there is a more serious fault, that could possibly be fixed by someone who knows a lot about repair (if you're super lucky), or you would need to use some sort of premium data recovery service that removes the platters from the disc and copies them directly. Unfortunately the latter is not commonplace technology so you will probably have to play a premium.

It pretty much depends on where the fault is. If the disc or discs were dislodged off a bearing or if the needle or arm broke etc then it might not be possible to repair the drive at all, even long enough to recover the info without paying.
---
i7 920 | GTX 580 | 6Gb DDR3 1066 | Asus P6T SE | Corsair 750 W | 1.5Tb Seagate |
#5MonerMonerPosted 10/6/2013 3:02:57 PM
Is this an external drive? If so you should check the pins that connect to the cable, I had a similar problem once, ended up getting a new enclosure to fix it.
#6silvergokuZ(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 6:39:46 PM
ben_not_benny posted...
You probably already broke it beyond repair by dropping it twice. Good luck fetching the data of the HDD.

When I say dropped I mean about 2 feet each time not huge drops at all.

Anyway it was in a external case so took it out and tried connected to sata and ide of case and still the same.

Just seems strange to die so easily when it only dropped 2 feet and was flat each time and on carpet unless it died from the yanking of the connector rather than the drop.
---
#7BlueRamzaPosted 10/6/2013 7:11:29 PM
It sound to me like your out of luck. I hope your games were steam / disk based, that way you can just re download / install them.
---
Snake: There's no happiness found in death, no peace either; I'm leaving here alive, because a strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
#8silvergokuZ(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 5:51:38 AM
It wasnt those sort of games, it was archives of all my ps1 and my favourite gamecube games totalling about 120 gig

If I can find the discs then its pretty easy to just recover them but did lose a few emulator saves nothing that important more that my games are scattered all over my apartment as I just shove stuff in cupboards to make the floor tidy

The funny thing is if it lasted a few more hours I was in the process of getting ready to put them on a new external so would of been perfect.

I had it in this enclosure for 6 months and it decides to die hours before I wanted to put a new one in grrr.
---
#9SlaynPosted 10/7/2013 6:39:21 AM
post pics
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#10BlueRamzaPosted 10/7/2013 6:34:04 PM
Next time there a super sale pick up an extra external HDD and back up everything. It will save you a headache.
---
Snake: There's no happiness found in death, no peace either; I'm leaving here alive, because a strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.