This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

State of Decay, The Dead Linger, or wait for the DayZ standalone?

#1ghj1Posted 10/6/2013 10:40:35 AM
I've been looking at all three, and they all look solid. I've been looking for a realistic-ish zombie survival game for a long time, and these three seem like the top ones in development at the time. I was hoping I could get some opinions from people who know a little bit more about the three as to which I should hop on as of now. I realize DayZ doesn't have any release date or early access at this time, but I'm just thinking that if it seems to be getting the best rep then I'll just wait for it and not buy either of the other two. Anyone have any insight?
---
http://steamcard.com/do/nxe/iggysmartbomb.png
i5 2400 l Asus ENGTX 460 l HAF 912 l Gigabyte Z68 l 8GB G.SKILL RAM l 520w Antec HCG l SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB
#2TerantatekPosted 10/6/2013 10:44:30 AM
State of decay > DayZ > Dead Linger

IMHO
---
"The best revenge is to live a happy life"
Love, Peace, 420-14/7. Living in Euphoria
#3ScroePosted 10/6/2013 10:45:15 AM
You will be waiting a long time for DayZ
---
Don't hinder Jinder
I'm a white girl with nice boobs
#4Killah PriestPosted 10/6/2013 10:48:11 AM
coming from a huge zombie fanboy.

none of the above.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#5lionheart5656Posted 10/6/2013 10:53:22 AM
Day Z is just a giant deathmatch with zombies. Unless you play with friends, any human player you ever spot will try to kill you immediately.

State of Decay seems completely like an Xbox game from what I played of it so far. I couldn't get past the first 10 min because it was so unfun.

Dead Linger has the most potential. It's still in alpha but boasts an unlimited world along with everything you'd expect from a zombie game.

I'd go with Dead Linger at the moment but I'd wait before I bought any of them anyway.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#6ghj1(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 10:57:24 AM(edited)
Terantatek posted...

IMHO

Any real reason for this or just because?

Scroe posted...

Ya I assumed so, in which case I may just go for one of the other two in the mean time.

Killah Priest posted...

none of the above.

Why not? And what would you recommend? I really just love the idea of a realistic, exploration based, zombie survival game.

lionheart5656 posted...
Day Z is just a giant deathmatch with zombies. Unless you play with friends, any human player you ever spot will try to kill you immediately.

State of Decay seems completely like an Xbox game from what I played of it so far. I couldn't get past the first 10 min because it was so unfun.

Dead Linger has the most potential. It's still in alpha but boasts an unlimited world along with everything you'd expect from a zombie game.

I'd go with Dead Linger at the moment but I'd wait before I bought any of them anyway.

Thanks for the help! Does State of Decay feel that way just because of its lack of KB/M support or what?
---
http://steamcard.com/do/nxe/iggysmartbomb.png
i5 2400 l Asus ENGTX 460 l HAF 912 l Gigabyte Z68 l 8GB G.SKILL RAM l 520w Antec HCG l SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB
#7Killah PriestPosted 10/6/2013 10:56:39 AM
State of Decay had way too many issues and felt more like a baby sitting simulator.

Day Z was slow and boring.

Dead Linger is looking really rough right now.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#8ClouddxPosted 10/6/2013 11:07:09 AM
State if decay is good, it's still in beta tho and I'm sure many things will be tweaked.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#9lionheart5656Posted 10/6/2013 11:23:10 AM
ghj1 posted...
Terantatek posted...

IMHO

Any real reason for this or just because?

Scroe posted...

Ya I assumed so, in which case I may just go for one of the other two in the mean time.

Killah Priest posted...

none of the above.

Why not? And what would you recommend? I really just love the idea of a realistic, exploration based, zombie survival game.

lionheart5656 posted...

Thanks for the help! Does State of Decay feel that way just because of its lack of KB/M support or what?

Partially because of the lack of KB/M support but mostly because it doesn't feel like it has any depth to it.

Dropping from a height as tall as your guy damages you. Your companions are dumb. Zombies are easy.

Scavenging consists of finding a location that's probably already marked for you and finding the one bag there to loot.

Finding locations is in assassin creed style. Find a designated tall spot and "Spot" things from there that mark everything for you forever. No real exploration needed.

The whole thing feels dumbed down for the console crowd and not just any console crowd, the Xbox console crowd.

I didn't like it at all.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#10BogePosted 10/6/2013 3:31:33 PM
The Dead Linger is looking pretty darn bad. I was expecting something much much more. Seeing it on Steam for the Early Access though, I expected a much better showing. So if they're selling it for Early Access, it's probably nearing about what the were aiming for, which isn't very high.

State of Decay doesn't feel quite right to me. It's almost comical in a way, I'm not sure. It just feels off.

DayZ could be cool. The mod is interesting. Although ragers instead of slow and dumb zombies really kills those games for me, along with PvP.

To be honest, they all suck, and I'm still waiting for someone to do it the right way.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.