This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think that Valve can keep the price of a steam machine to 400 or less?

#11strongo9Posted 10/6/2013 2:26:01 PM
There will be several Steam machines made by different manufacturers. There won't be one definitive Steam machine.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#12claytonbuckleyPosted 10/6/2013 2:27:28 PM
It won't be up to Valve to decide on prices. it will be up to the PC manufactures that will make these 'Steam machines' Once again i have to explain this. Valve are not making consoles. They just made the tools and idea for PC manufactures to make cheap small gaming PCs that will run SteamOS. The only ones Steam are going to make are the 300 they are going to send out for free to people to test out SteamOS.

All that said, how much they are will depend on the specs of the machine, and how big of a jerk the manufacture is. Though they are just PCs, so you can just make your own like i will.
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
#13ARMs7777Posted 10/6/2013 2:33:27 PM
How is the different manufacturer going to make money, if they are gonna undercut their other products? These things are gonna be sold and put in a small box. Good luck dealing with warranties selling them cheap. These companies are not gonna make anything off stream sales.
#14VioletZer0(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 2:41:59 PM
claytonbuckley posted...
It won't be up to Valve to decide on prices. it will be up to the PC manufactures that will make these 'Steam machines' Once again i have to explain this. Valve are not making consoles. They just made the tools and idea for PC manufactures to make cheap small gaming PCs that will run SteamOS. The only ones Steam are going to make are the 300 they are going to send out for free to people to test out SteamOS.

All that said, how much they are will depend on the specs of the machine, and how big of a jerk the manufacture is. Though they are just PCs, so you can just make your own like i will.

Now I am even less confident that they're going to reasonably price the things.

So much for Steam Machines taking down the PS4.
#15arleasPosted 10/6/2013 2:51:18 PM

So to you, reasonably priced is a titan + i7 for $400-$500? I'm sure the prices will be reasonable for the specs compared to other computers... I don't think it was ever meant to take down the PS4 or Xbone.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg
#16Lemur_HPosted 10/6/2013 3:08:15 PM
Other hardware mentioned in the beta Steam Machines was i5/i3 and GTX 660s. It won't be selling for $400 or less, but I don't think it needs to sell that low to be appealing. At that point, I'm sure it is already faster than a PlayStation 4 or an Xbox One. Combine that with the fact that it is a prebuilt PC for gaming and that increase in price won't look so bad. I don't think a $600 - $700 system is so bad of a price when there is actually value in it. And with a PC, there definitely is. For people that want it, they can pay more and get more than their locked-down console will ever allow. It's a premium that is well worth it.
#17claytonbuckleyPosted 10/6/2013 3:41:14 PM
VioletZer0 posted...
claytonbuckley posted...

everyday on this board there are about 77 million topics asking for people to build them a gaming PC for the same prices as the new consoles. Build one of those, install SteamOS on it, connect it to your TV and boom, you have a 'Steam machine'
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
#18wizardmonPosted 10/6/2013 3:49:22 PM
VioletZer0 posted...
claytonbuckley posted...

It's not about "taking down" the PS4, it's about providing a option for people to play PC games & other media on a TV in a living room.
That's all.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#19WyzeGyePosted 10/6/2013 4:16:21 PM
I'm thinking that low tier Steam machines will be sold at a loss, coming with a 7770 or equivalent while the upper tiers will be sold at rather inflated prices.
---
http://i.imgur.com/2dhh8tn.gif | http://i.imgur.com/p5EXSiq.jpg
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/2/2/7/201227_v1.gif
#20AnnihilatedPosted 10/6/2013 4:23:59 PM
Lemur_H posted...
Other hardware mentioned in the beta Steam Machines was i5/i3 and GTX 660s. It won't be selling for $400 or less, but I don't think it needs to sell that low to be appealing. At that point, I'm sure it is already faster than a PlayStation 4 or an Xbox One. Combine that with the fact that it is a prebuilt PC for gaming and that increase in price won't look so bad. I don't think a $600 - $700 system is so bad of a price when there is actually value in it. And with a PC, there definitely is. For people that want it, they can pay more and get more than their locked-down console will ever allow. It's a premium that is well worth it.

Except the reason that $600-$700 is such a bargain for a PC is that you can play pretty much any PC game from the dawn of time. SteamOS/Linux is going to be poorly supported at first unless they can manage to sell a lot of these things.