This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 8 boots in 2-3 secs after post....

#11gastamanPosted 10/6/2013 2:04:54 PM(edited)
wildog2006 posted...
You didn't quite understand. Win8 doesn't really shut down when you tell it to shut down. It goes into a deep hibernation instead. Restarting fully shuts the system down and reboots.

If you put a Win7 machine into hibernation, it's basically the same as shutting down a Win8 machine.

I understand completely. I am fully aware of Windows 8 and Fast Startup. I am also aware of the differences between Fast Startup and coming out of a hibernated state.

I was merely commenting in regards to the comment that if someone turns on hibernation in Windows 7, that Windows 7 will boot faster. 1. Hibernation is on be default in Windows 7, so one does not need to enable it. 2. Enabling hibernation and/or disabling it in Windows 7 has no affect on the speed of which Windows 7 boots up.

In addition, yes, Windows 8 really shuts down. All fast startup does is save the kernel state in the hyber file. It still shuts down, it just boots up faster because it doesn't have to fully load the kernel state. It does, still, however, fully load and initialize drivers.

Edit: Also, putting a Windows 7 machine into hibernation is not the same thing as shutting down in Windows 8.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#12DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/6/2013 2:36:19 PM
3 Seconds seems a bit off but not by much. Last time I did some tests between win 7 and win 8 with same machine and fresh os installs (updated though), it was 5.5 seconds vs 18 in favor of windows 8. Both installed on a 500MB/s read/write ssd.

Also Gastaman is correct. Fast boot in windows 8 is similar to hibernation but it only saves the core os kernel. It also doesn't matter how its done, if its done properly. Shutdown isn't hampered in 8 and even with a 'restart' (fast boot is disabled for that), it will still handily beat a windows 7 machine.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#13PraetorXynPosted 10/6/2013 4:06:17 PM
fatali posted...
Windows 8 uses a hibernation system when you shut it down, that is why it boots so quickly, if you enable hibernation in windows 7 it will also boot faster.

Try restarting in windows 8, when you restart instead of shutting down it really loads everything when you boot, it will take longer, like windows 7 does.

This.

Windows 8 uses "Fast Boot" to save the kernel state when you shut the machine down. And this feature is a form of hibernation.

If you press Win+X and open Command Prompt (Admin), and run:
powercfg -h off

Then shut down your computer and watch how "fast" Windows 8 boots.

There's no point to the feature with an SSD, as Windows 7 or 8 will both boot in 10 seconds and turning hibernation off saves you however much RAM you have of SSD space.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#14DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/6/2013 4:11:39 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
There's no point to the feature with an SSD, as Windows 7 or 8 will both boot in 10 seconds and turning hibernation off saves you however much RAM you have of SSD space.

This is just hyperbole and or misinformation. My hybernation file is actually only about 4.5gb even though I have 8gb of ram, and as I mentioned above, windows 7 is at least double the boot time even when turning off hibernation. Windows 8 is just leaner whether you want to admit it or not.

Keep on pretending though. Also I'd like to see you actually time your windows 7 boot. It won't be 10 seconds even on an ssd. Well I suppose it might be possible with a raid setup and or PCI-e setup.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#15PraetorXynPosted 10/6/2013 4:20:18 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
PraetorXyn posted...

This is just hyperbole and or misinformation. My hybernation file is actually only about 4.5gb even though I have 8gb of ram, and as I mentioned above, windows 7 is at least double the boot time even when turning off hibernation. Windows 8 is just leaner whether you want to admit it or not.

Keep on pretending though. Also I'd like to see you actually time your windows 7 boot. It won't be 10 seconds even on an ssd. Well I suppose it might be possible with a raid setup and or PCI-e setup.

The Windows 7 laptop I use for work has an SSD and boots in 10-12 seconds depending on post.
As for the hibernation file, the largest it can be is the amount of RAM you have.

I have 16 GB in my laptop, and when I used Windirstat to look the hibernation file was 6 or 8 GB. So I turned hibernation off and that went away.

I'm moving every few months for contract work for the next year or so, so I can't build a desktop to compare.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#16gastamanPosted 10/6/2013 4:27:25 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
The Windows 7 laptop I use for work has an SSD and boots in 10-12 seconds

My old Lenovo Yoga 13 from work did a full restart in 12-14 seconds.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#17ChetyrePosted 10/6/2013 4:48:23 PM
Not counting POST time, my archlinux boots in 2 seconds tops, from complete shutdown
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#18Reaper_MinionPosted 10/6/2013 6:19:24 PM
I have W8 installed on an SSD. When I turn hibernation off it boots just as fast. The only difference is that Metro takes a few more seconds to finish loading and I can't control anything until it's done.

I prefer to keep hibernation on.
---
/|\ http://i.imgur.com/hK9c1lo.jpg?1
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY