This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help me out (PC i built is having major issues)

#1xibenixPosted 10/6/2013 1:09:59 PM
Alright, so i built a pc with parts i was able to get for free or really cheap, a month or two ago.

Randomly, like if i try to play a game or do something hardware intensive, my computer will shut off instantly. At first i thought it was the power supply, cause i skimped out on that, but i eventually purchased a much better power supply and im having the same issues.

The specs:

12GB 1600 MHz Corsair 9-9-9-24 RAM (3 seperate DDR3 sticks)
i5-2310 processor
2 x gts 450 GPU's (SLI)
Silverstone 500W Model : SST-ST50F-ES
Motherboard : ECS P67H2-A2 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135283)

i've tried many ways to fix my issues. i've disabled sli and only plugged in one gpu at a time, to test if either was bad. Didn't make a difference.

I bought the power supply above which is more than sufficient for my needs and it still didnt solve my issue.

So i decided to run Memtest86, it ran for about 5 minutes then computer shut off instantly, which i knew was not right, so i started testing one stick at a time, no matter which slot, or stick i tried, same results, power shuts off a few minutes through testing.

What should i do now to try to fix my issues? I know my PC is completely unbalanced, please don't flame, just trying to get it to work
#2fataliPosted 10/6/2013 1:13:43 PM
You tested the video cards, ram memory, power supply, the only thing left to blame is the motherboard.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#3ElfergosPosted 10/6/2013 1:27:26 PM(edited)
Have you tried to launching with a single GPU?

Sorry, I see that you have although 500W does seem a little low if you are aiming for an SLI config. How about your CPU, are you using a stock or custom fan?
#4xibenix(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 1:27:01 PM
yeah thats what i said i've done to test the gpu, currently im running only one gpu because of that, but i still have issues.

If i were to open up a game such as skyrim, my pc would power off within a few minutes.
#5DerPancakePosted 10/6/2013 1:28:49 PM
Bad motherboard is bad.
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#6xibenix(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 1:30:30 PM
Stock intel lga 1155 fan. And, 500 Watts should be plenty for my setup, the two GPU i have are very low power, and if im running it with only one GPU and no sli and i still have issues, i really doubt its the PSU, because im only using one card atm...
#7ElfergosPosted 10/6/2013 1:36:56 PM
The only thing that I could think is that you have an overheating issue or something fundamentally wrong with your motherboard, I've had similar things happen before to a laptop which was caused my overloading the CPU on xcom and my first really badly built PC used to restart a lot because of a dodgy power supply.