This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xcom: Enemy Unknown questions..

#31BogePosted 10/6/2013 11:13:34 PM
It's just missing a lot of stuff that makes that old and lost genre good. Using the action points to increase your accuracy. Aiming at specific body parts (headshot doesn't count). Saving action points for an interrupt (overwatch isn't the same). Deciding to use that interrupt to duck back, throw grenades, run away, shoot, whatever!! Being able to give your teammates items, trade during combat. Duck, prone, sneak. The vast equipment you can bring for each member. I'm sure there is more, but I'm bored of mentioning to them because it doesn't matter. If you didn't experience what it should be like, you don't miss it, so there's no point in me mentioning it.

The hurtful part for some of us is that the old school tactical options we had with those games is now gone because some moron on the development team or publishing decided to piss away gameplay for an extra buck. It's a shameful thing to see happen to a game. And we'll probably never see many, if any, games like it again because it's been traded in for dumbed down gamepad use.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#32xanthan1Posted 10/7/2013 2:31:12 PM(edited)
TimePharaoh posted...
DV8ingSources posted...
Sure its weaker than the original games but sometimes graphics DO matter to people and those are incredibly dated.

And that's why said people are casuals. But if you're a casual, why are you upset when someone calls you such? What would you call said "gamer" who refuses to play hundreds of thousands of games including the best ones from almost every single genre? I mean, I'd call them an idiot, but casual sounds nicer (and we already determined that they're quite sensitive about their status).

It's irrelevant if you've never played the better ones, care about graphics more than anything, or anything else...the fact is they're better, period, and you're a casual if you disagree. That's the bottom line.

And this is a good example of a guy needing to know the difference between fact and opinion.

Also a guy who can't seem to understand others not liking insults How does he deal with normal society if he somehow screws up such basic parts of interacting with others? The world may never know.

Seriously man, how can you not understand not wanting to be insulted? What the hell is wrong with you?
#33xanthan1Posted 10/7/2013 2:30:29 PM(edited)
LB3 posted...
Expansion stuff

http://kotaku.com/sounds-like-aliens-will-invade-your-base-in-xcom-enemy-1418358925

Based on the Steam achievement list for the expansion you'll also face a human threat of some kind also.
#34notSFFPosted 10/7/2013 3:18:20 PM
Enemy Unknown is far from casual. Even the seemingly puny sectoids can easily kill you at the very start of the game if you make mistakes, and once the Thin Men, Mutons and ESPECIALLY Chrysalids show up, well...you better hope you managed to research at least laser weapondry, or you're pretty much SOL.
---
SteamID: tsff20
Xbox Gamer Tag: TSFF19
#35ShadowThaReaperPosted 10/7/2013 6:12:19 PM
notSFF posted...
Enemy Unknown is far from casual.

Except it isn't. It's an extraordinarily dumbed down game.

It's not even particularly difficult.
#36TimePharaohPosted 10/7/2013 6:19:10 PM
notSFF posted...
Enemy Unknown is far from casual. Even the seemingly puny sectoids can easily kill you at the very start of the game if you make mistakes, and once the Thin Men, Mutons and ESPECIALLY Chrysalids show up, well...you better hope you managed to research at least laser weapondry, or you're pretty much SOL.

Ok? The very first Goomba in Mario can easily kill you on the first screen of the game.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#37Reverend_WilsonPosted 10/7/2013 6:23:26 PM(edited)
Super_Thug44 posted...
Don't listen to Shadow. Almost all of his posts are solely intended to show off how much of a douchebag he can be.

Eh, he's more tolerable than TimePharaoh though.
---
Q Boned
#38TimePharaohPosted 10/7/2013 6:28:35 PM
Why would I want to be tolerated by ignorant peasants with bad taste? That would imply I have something in common with them. I loled, no thanks.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#39kelemvorPosted 10/7/2013 7:29:42 PM(edited)
I miss throwing hordes of X-COM units at the aliens, watching them get mowed down only to hire more the next month. The strong survive and get promoted, which gets them more Action Points, agility, and HP. You get them better armor. Despite all that, even your top commander can get killed by one direct hit from a Plasma Cannon. The tense feeling of the first X-COM just isn't there with the new game.

Now you only get 4-6 guys. You have so much invested in them that if one dies you just restart. At least with X-COM: UFO Defense you can afford to loose a guy or two, since you have 8-12 guys usually, and a lot more on your roster.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#40ZalteregoPosted 10/7/2013 10:11:48 PM
Good god, I've blocked two people this thread. That just doesn't happen...

Anyhoo, I'm with you man, loved this game, casual or not. Hell of a ride.

1. How Long is the Single Player? I Love it so far... and kind of don't want it to end..

- As long as you want, there's a point of no return after you make a decision or two. But the critters will keep attacking until you get tired as far as I know.

2. How is the Replay Value?

- Tough question, as I don't often replay games. You'd have to tweak it to make it worthwhile in my opinion. Maybe a no-death game, or higher difficulty. I don't know.

3. Is The Multiplayer Fun?

- Never touched it, sorry.

4. Is there any progression in Multiplayer? I mean is there ranks or whatnot.. Idk but i have always liked the sense of Progression in my MP.

- Never touched it, sorry.

5. How much New Content does Enemy Within really add?

- Bought it because I got the base game free with Bioshock Infinite, but I haven't played much. A few missions that unlock better gear from what I know.

And keep on keeping on, man. Great thing about being an adult video games are a hobby, between a master's degree and full time job I can't imagine seeing the world like these two children. Doesn't make me less of a gamer just because I'm waiting for winter break to pick up GTAV, and enjoying this game without touching the old ones doesn't make you any less either.

Not that you need my validation, mind.
---
my comic: http://www.thepkf.com violence makes me giggle