This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

F***ing horizontal tearing.

#1Rama_IIIPosted 10/6/2013 5:03:35 PM
I didn't want to start playing a new game until the rest of the parts for my new computer arrived, but I took a chance and fired up Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs anyway.

I'm only a few "levels" in, but the strongest emotion I've experienced thus far isn't fear, but rage. Rage at the goddamned f***ing horizontal screen tearing/distortion/whatever. It only appears when I move, and as an extra "f*** you" from the computer gods, the screenshots I take look pristine so I can't even show you guys what I'm talking about.

It's basically identical to the kind of vertical screen tearing that is so common it has its own checkbox fix in every PC game made in the past couple decades. I have yet to see an HSync checkbox.

Does anyone know of any solutions? I searched online and apparently it can be caused by monitor converters...but I'm not converting anything. It's a straight DVI connection from video card to monitor. I've tried it on both of my monitors, by the way.

I seem to remember this happening in Bioshock: Infinite, too. Amnesia is not the kind of game I can just ignore huge graphical distortions like this, though, and I'd really appreciate any advice on how to fix it.
---
The Garden Of Rama
Arthur C. Clarke is the one true God.
#2nmaharg81Posted 10/6/2013 5:05:33 PM
Turn on Vsync.
#3DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/6/2013 5:07:45 PM
Have you tried a different port on your gpu? I can't say I've ever had tearing in a vertical plane. Its always been the normal horizontal plane.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#4twinslashPosted 10/6/2013 5:10:34 PM
nmaharg81 posted...
Turn on Vsync.

---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/area-52/Elementastic/advanced
#5Rama_III(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 5:13:26 PM
I had VSync on. I also had "Adaptive VSync" on, which apparently automatically turns VSync off if it thinks my machine is suffering. I turned that off, and sure enough, everything is working fine (and at the same framerate.)

Thanks guys. I feel like an idiot but at least it's fixed.
---
The Garden Of Rama
#6BogePosted 10/6/2013 5:21:20 PM
I usually go with Vsync and triple buffering. Vsync syncs your framerate with your screens refresh rate, usually 60. So if you're running the game at 88 frames per second, it halts it at 60. However, if you're at 57 frames per second, it will halt it at 30. If at 26, it will drop to 15, then whatever else, I don't care because it's too low.

Triple buffering allows that 57 frames per second along with Vsync. So you get the best of both worlds. People say it tends to add input lag, but I'm a lucky one to not notice, so it's all good for me!
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#7DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/6/2013 5:25:25 PM
Boge posted...
People say it tends to add input lag,

If objectively does but yes it doesn't matter much. So long as you can keep your input lag below ~50ms (or 3 frames @ 60hz) you likely wouldn't notice.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#8Rama_III(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 6:19:35 PM(edited)
I'm not sure if the hardware itself or game coding has gotten better, but I know Vsync has caused unbearable mouse input lag for me in the not-too-distant past. If I can notice it, it's pretty much unacceptable.
---
The Garden Of Rama
#9gamerdude555Posted 10/7/2013 2:38:34 AM
Rama_III posted...
I didn't want to start playing a new game until the rest of the parts for my new computer arrived, but I took a chance and fired up Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs anyway.

I'm only a few "levels" in, but the strongest emotion I've experienced thus far isn't fear, but rage. Rage at the goddamned f***ing horizontal screen tearing/distortion/whatever. It only appears when I move, and as an extra "f*** you" from the computer gods, the screenshots I take look pristine so I can't even show you guys what I'm talking about.

It's basically identical to the kind of vertical screen tearing that is so common it has its own checkbox fix in every PC game made in the past couple decades. I have yet to see an HSync checkbox.

Does anyone know of any solutions? I searched online and apparently it can be caused by monitor converters...but I'm not converting anything. It's a straight DVI connection from video card to monitor. I've tried it on both of my monitors, by the way.

I seem to remember this happening in Bioshock: Infinite, too. Amnesia is not the kind of game I can just ignore huge graphical distortions like this, though, and I'd really appreciate any advice on how to fix it.

I have the problem too, it's a faint horizontal line that appears when I turn fast, doesn't always happen but it's there, has nothing to do with vsync but it's not so bad if you concentrate on the game enough you can easily forget that it's there and you won't see it anymore, that's what I did.lol
---
gamers paradise
#10AnatomyHorrorPosted 10/7/2013 3:19:34 AM
My buddy has an nvidia card and both Amnesia games have horrible tearing for him. There's ways to fix it though.