This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the point of adaptive VSync?

#1Snuckie7Posted 10/6/2013 5:18:58 PM
It seems to me that it would just provide for a horribly inconsistent experience. Screen tearing and input lag for one moment, no screen tearing or input lag the next, and these transitions happen at the worst times too (when your framerate fluctuates). Might as well just leave VSync off if you're willing to deal with some screen tearing imo.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#2MangorushXIIIPosted 10/6/2013 5:19:56 PM
http://replygif.net/i/159.gif
#3DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/6/2013 5:22:15 PM
It's there for the games you CAN run full blast, yet don't mind tearing in the games you can't.

90% of the time on my machine its like having proper vsync on which I prefer as its easier on my components, and the other 10% of the time its giving me the best possible performance it can muster.

I have it set to half refresh rate as I run a 120hz monitor and its worked without much of an issue so far.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#4nIMr0D888Posted 10/6/2013 5:23:45 PM
If you are running at the refresh rate of your monitor there shouldn't be any input lag, adaptive vsync just turns off vsync when your framerate drops below the refresh rate so that when you do drop below, your framerate isn't decreased by a multiple of the refresh rate.

It is meant to provide a smoother experience, and has the backing of John Carmack.
---
CAUTION: EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE
#5Snuckie7(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 5:25:00 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
It's there for the games you CAN run full blast, yet don't mind tearing in the games you can't.

90% of the time on my machine its like having proper vsync on which I prefer as its easier on my components, and the other 10% of the time its giving me the best possible performance it can muster.

I have it set to half refresh rate as I run a 120hz monitor and its worked without much of an issue so far.


So it's main use is to set it globally if you're too lazy to configure each individual game?
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#6Snuckie7(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 5:27:20 PM
nIMr0D888 posted...
If you are running at the refresh rate of your monitor there shouldn't be any input lag, adaptive vsync just turns off vsync when your framerate drops below the refresh rate so that when you do drop below, your framerate isn't decreased by a multiple of the refresh rate.

It is meant to provide a smoother experience, and has the backing of John Carmack.


Having any kind of VSync on introduces input lag, and higher framerates will always decrease input lag too.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#7DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/6/2013 5:31:27 PM(edited)
^yep. And not sure if I'd say its based on laziness. Is it really lazy to buy a fridge with an icemaker when you could buy one without and make it yourself? Its a convenience thing. There is no 'work' being done by going into a game and switching on vsync. Also not all games support vsync properly in my experience. Vsync in deadspace is horrible with the ingame setting. Adaptive or even regular driver forced vsync works wonderfully though.

Snuckie7 posted...
nIMr0D888 posted...
If you are running at the refresh rate of your monitor there shouldn't be any input lag, adaptive vsync just turns off vsync when your framerate drops below the refresh rate so that when you do drop below, your framerate isn't decreased by a multiple of the refresh rate.

It is meant to provide a smoother experience, and has the backing of John Carmack.


Having any kind of VSync on introduces input lag, and higher framerates will always decrease input lag too.



What he's saying is that going from 60-30 fps in a normal vsync situation will be felt a LOT more in regards to input lag than going from 60 - 57 or whatever a normal 'drop' would be.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#8nIMr0D888Posted 10/6/2013 5:33:12 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
nIMr0D888 posted...
If you are running at the refresh rate of your monitor there shouldn't be any input lag, adaptive vsync just turns off vsync when your framerate drops below the refresh rate so that when you do drop below, your framerate isn't decreased by a multiple of the refresh rate.

It is meant to provide a smoother experience, and has the backing of John Carmack.


Having any kind of VSync on introduces input lag, and higher framerates will always decrease input lag too.


For some games this it is true, but at 60Hz there is a minimum of 16.67ms between frames that is going to be the same whether or not you are running vsync or not. With triple buffering you will see a noticeable amount of input lag (a whole frame which is another 16.67ms).

Lots of people think vsync causes input lag mainly because of the transition between 60fps and 30fps (16.67ms and 33.33ms).
---
CAUTION: EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE
#9Snuckie7(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 5:42:57 PM
nIMr0D888 posted...
Snuckie7 posted...
nIMr0D888 posted...
If you are running at the refresh rate of your monitor there shouldn't be any input lag, adaptive vsync just turns off vsync when your framerate drops below the refresh rate so that when you do drop below, your framerate isn't decreased by a multiple of the refresh rate.

It is meant to provide a smoother experience, and has the backing of John Carmack.


Having any kind of VSync on introduces input lag, and higher framerates will always decrease input lag too.


For some games this it is true, but at 60Hz there is a minimum of 16.67ms between frames that is going to be the same whether or not you are running vsync or not. With triple buffering you will see a noticeable amount of input lag (a whole frame which is another 16.67ms).

Lots of people think vsync causes input lag mainly because of the transition between 60fps and 30fps (16.67ms and 33.33ms).


Which is why running framerates above your monitor's refresh rate results in less input lag.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#10nIMr0D888Posted 10/6/2013 5:46:39 PM(edited)
And how are you going to tell if your monitor can only supply a new frame every 16.67ms?

Looking at it input lag as a system in closed loop control the minimum input lag in an ideal situation is limited by the refresh rate of the display.
---
CAUTION: EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE