This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need a good setup for the family, this a good deal?

#1UnyieldingBRPosted 10/6/2013 5:51:39 PM
Normally I would just build one but damn this looks like a good price. Tell me what you think:

http://austin.craigslist.org/sys/4093983172.html

Only downside is the OS... never used linux before. Tell me what you think.
#2Fade2black001Posted 10/6/2013 5:58:13 PM
Yes
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#3ShubPosted 10/6/2013 6:01:45 PM
Do you need the video card? If it's just a "family" computer that you won't do gaming on, just sell it and use the Core i3's onboard video. Then buy Windows with that money.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4WerdnAndreWPosted 10/6/2013 6:03:36 PM
The power supply is probably crap but overall its a decent pc for the price.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#5NicoC96Posted 10/6/2013 6:04:06 PM
It needs Windows and maybe a new power supply, but other than that it's a steal.
#6UnyieldingBR(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 6:05:14 PM
Shub posted...
Do you need the video card? If it's just a "family" computer that you won't do gaming on, just sell it and use the Core i3's onboard video. Then buy Windows with that money.

Pretty good idea. Problem is I know my little brother will want to do some gaming. I know the 650ti will suffice, but I know I can't really go down much from there...

Is Linux that much of a pain?
#7UnyieldingBR(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 6:06:03 PM
Yeah I actually have a spare XFX 450w powersupply... but it's probably no better than the one provided.
#8ShubPosted 10/6/2013 6:09:20 PM
UnyieldingBR posted...

Nothing wrong with it per se but a lot of people have a hard time adjusting if they're used to Windows, and it's fairly useless for gaming.

UnyieldingBR posted...
Yeah I actually have a spare XFX 450w powersupply... but it's probably no better than the one provided.

Actually it's a lot better. XFX units are high quality.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#9NicoC96Posted 10/6/2013 6:11:39 PM
UnyieldingBR posted...
Shub posted...

Pretty good idea. Problem is I know my little brother will want to do some gaming. I know the 650ti will suffice, but I know I can't really go down much from there...

The 650ti is good for gaming. I would keep it if you know your little bro is going to be doing anything above something like Minecraft.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/781

Linux's major pains are probably the lack of the conventional .exe style installs and lack of major gaming titles. Once you have it setup (which is pretty quick once you get a hold of the terminal), it should work as intended. Something like Elementary OS or Ubuntu should suffice nicely for a family computer.
#10UnyieldingBR(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 6:15:00 PM
Noted. Thanks guys. Probably will end up keeping the 650ti because you really can't go any cheaper and still get decent performance. Wishing I would have kept my old 7770!