This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i know this is the PC board and im sorry

#11Golden_GonadsPosted 10/7/2013 6:06:27 AM
I suspect it'll play the majority of games out now, though I'd stay clear of the latest titles. The graphics card as I remember was a budget card released in 08, so should be capable of playing pretty much everything up to that point and a couple of years beyond.
#12FeatherwindPosted 10/7/2013 6:12:24 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
Dukaduka1k82 posted...
Just saying, even though I do not like Macs for general purpose computing, a iMac is still a pc. PC = personal computer.

Not according to Apple themselves it's not considering they spent millions of dollars to brand it as literally the complete opposite of this.

What is their reasoning as to why a Mac is not a personal computer? I don't watch TV so I've never seen an Apple ad but that seems like a very weird point to argue.
---
pathological
#13ShubPosted 10/7/2013 6:12:57 AM
Dukaduka1k82 posted...
Just saying, even though I do not like Macs for general purpose computing, a iMac is still a pc. PC = personal computer.

Yes, PC means personal computer, but PC stems from IBM PC, which is a hardware standard, which produced the IBM PC compatible platform, and until Apple started using Intel CPUs, Macs were not IBM PC compatible. It's just easier to differentiate the two by not calling Macs "PCs".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_compatible
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#14Bikes-Posted 10/7/2013 6:17:31 AM
Featherwind posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Dukaduka1k82 posted...

Not according to Apple themselves it's not considering they spent millions of dollars to brand it as literally the complete opposite of this.

What is their reasoning as to why a Mac is not a personal computer? I don't watch TV so I've never seen an Apple ad but that seems like a very weird point to argue.

Their ad campaign from a few years back was windows vs apples but always referred to it as mac vs pc. Just look them up on youtube, they're hilariously bad.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#15DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/7/2013 6:33:47 AM(edited)
Golden_Gonads posted...
I suspect it'll play the majority of games out now, though I'd stay clear of the latest titles. The graphics card as I remember was a budget card released in 08, so should be capable of playing pretty much everything up to that point and a couple of years beyond.

Unless you have done a little research, I wouldn't get a persons hopes up like that.

A 9400GT would only manage 6fps at 1024x768 in crysis on low settings and maybe 10 fps in COD4:MW

That isn't what I'd call capable of running the 'majority' of games out now. Not to mention mac vs windows compatibility.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#16SinisterSlayPosted 10/7/2013 7:12:50 AM
XLegendKillerX posted...
I posted a topic asking a question about my iMac capabilities but its so dead and ive been waiting here for an answer but i was thinking maybe someone on PC forums can help me with my question (sorry if dumb, i am a noob at all this im usually a console gamer but Steam just seems too amazing) anyways ill just copy my topic from the other forums,

Is my iMac even good to run games or should i just stick to my console?

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Memory: 8 GB (RAM)
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

The 9400 is weaker than modern integrated graphics.

But that doesn't mean you can't game if you install Windows and run some of the older games.

Off the top of my head, you could play never winter nights 1 without too much issue. My 5200fx could play that game at medium graphics and barely acceptable framerate.
Look to PS2 era games, you can probably do very well in games from Need For Speed Underground and older.

In short, you can play about 50% of the PC games out there (if you install Windows) just none of the recent stuff over the last 10 years or so.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#17FeatherwindPosted 10/7/2013 8:01:20 AM
Bikes- posted...
Their ad campaign from a few years back was windows vs apples but always referred to it as mac vs pc. Just look them up on youtube, they're hilariously bad.

Wow that's desperate.
---
pathological
#18CC RicersPosted 10/7/2013 8:30:28 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
That isn't what I'd call capable of running the 'majority' of games out now. Not to mention mac vs windows compatibility.

Remember you can install Windows in it and get to play many Windows games from the mid 2000s and below. I think it can run UT 2004 fine.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#19DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/7/2013 8:36:09 AM
CC Ricers posted...
DV8ingSources posted...

Remember you can install Windows in it and get to play many Windows games from the mid 2000s and below. I think it can run UT 2004 fine.

Posts 2 and 5 :)

And yeah TC could but move up to UT3 and its a bit of a wash.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Point_Of_View/GeForce_9400_GT_1_GB/19.html

I'm not even sure if the imac has a mobile version or not. If so that would be even worse.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#20brainlackPosted 10/7/2013 9:22:10 AM
Bikes- posted...
Featherwind posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Dukaduka1k82 posted...

why do they need to compare a mac to a pc if they only got the beefs on a windows os
---
playing re6 with 8x sparse grid ss with 32xs(2x2 ss + 8 ms)+ mixed sample x128 + 32 forced anisotropic then I hear ps4 is powerful than my pc