This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Silent 2TB internal HDD?

#1Auction SniperPosted 10/6/2013 8:43:33 PM
Need to add some more space - are there any good quality 2TB drives that are dead on quiet? It's for a home theatre pc.
---
Sorry i don't know what the hell steam is. I thought it was that stuff that fogs up your bathroom after a hot shower. - STN79
#2SpacewhizguyPosted 10/6/2013 9:04:17 PM
Not really. Hard drives are one of the noisiest components in a computer. You'll have to go with an SSD if you really want silence. Otherwise, you'll have to make do with the 5400 RPM hard drives.
---
What's a sig?
#3lkhlkhPosted 10/6/2013 9:24:33 PM
Spacewhizguy posted...
Not really. Hard drives are one of the noisiest components in a computer. You'll have to go with an SSD if you really want silence. Otherwise, you'll have to make do with the 5400 RPM hard drives.

do SDD last longer?
---
the word "exclusives" are nothing compare to the games you actually want to play.
#4DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/7/2013 2:21:53 AM
You can buy a pair of 2.5" SSDs at 1TB each.
Not really ideal for that kind of setup though.

I suggest going for "pretty damn quiet" instead of "silent".
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#5Cobra152004Posted 10/7/2013 8:36:06 AM
The storage section at SPCR should be able to point you in a good direction:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/section13.html
Some sections haven't been updated in a while, but hopefully some of the more recently reviewed harddrives are still available and quiet enough.

I ended up suspending harddrives from bungee cords after reading on that site and here:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article8-page2.html
I used a 48" flat strap bungee to decouple my two harddrives from the cage in an Antec 900. I oriented the drives side by side standing up on their long sides. The straps are tight enough that nothing has slipped or fallen out after several years. Not moving the case often probably helps. The suspension isn't perfectly silent, but really helped cut down on rattling and seek noise from drives.
#6GipFacePosted 10/7/2013 9:38:28 AM
Spacewhizguy posted...

Most SSDs aren't silent. They emit a high-pitched tone when being accessed due to electromagnetic inteference. Unfortunately, the only way to know whether a drive has it or not is to buy it, since reviewers apparently can't be bothered to test it.
#7Ch3wyPosted 10/7/2013 9:44:50 AM(edited)
My HDD that came with my computer is quiet, I can never hear it at all.

It's called Hitachi HDS721010DLE630 in the device manager. That's all I know about it.

Whatever you do don't buy a WD black, they are very loud.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#8ShubPosted 10/7/2013 9:44:52 AM
WD Reds are pretty quiet but no hard drive is ever 100% quiet. You can always take alternative measures: mount the hard drive to the case using rubberized screws, use some kind of noise isolation material and put it everywhere you can on the walls of the case...
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.