This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remember being able to rent and play used PC games?

#1MackorovPosted 10/6/2013 9:36:12 PM
None of that is possible, now, is it? As Steam becomes the main distribution as well as DRM platform all game devs now flock to rely on, practically all PC games today are restricted to one CD key per copy and one copy tied only to one user's account. Sharing of games is now only something console users can enjoy.
Who else than to thank Valve's Steam for that?
#2DerPancakePosted 10/6/2013 9:38:26 PM
We traded something decent, for something even better.

I prefer Steam over renting and used games.
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#3jakisthePosted 10/6/2013 9:39:13 PM
Honestly no. I remember being able to rent console games, but PC games had limited installs and key-codes as far back as I can remember.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#4LazyyAmericanPosted 10/6/2013 9:40:17 PM
Hey...you're not supporting the devs/publishers by renting....is the typical defense. Honestly though...there just isn't enough of a demand I'm guessing on the PC front for such services to exist. Demo's are usually few and far between....so it's either bite the bullet or grab the eye patch.
---
Quite the dilemma....to coexist in a world that ostracizes you into obscurity
#5ZeraphLordSPosted 10/6/2013 9:40:35 PM
Steam sales happened.
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#6AsellusPosted 10/6/2013 9:41:30 PM
Nope. I can remember one shop trying out renting pc games for awhile but they stopped within a few months for reasons that should be pretty obvious - you're essentially selling the game for the price of a rental.

First games I can remember using online cd key registration were Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament - both of which predated Steam.
#7TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 10/6/2013 9:45:21 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8fallenswordsPosted 10/6/2013 9:48:19 PM
we traded a used market for deep discounts (i.e. steam sale)

IMO getting a $60 game for $5, but not being able to trade it is a reasonable trade-off.
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 8/28/2011 10:09:48 AM: http://bit.ly/jJ2ZNS
Katawa Shoujo changed my life. http://katawa-shoujo.com/
#9TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 10/6/2013 9:49:29 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10nightshadeAPosted 10/6/2013 9:51:08 PM
ehh not necessairly i mean lots of people played shadowrun returns with out steam or even buying it at all.... and cd-roms killed off the pc rental market as at the time you installed he whole game and didnt need the cd unlike now days
---
theres no point in telling me the wisdom of fool wont set me free"neworder
"mr zurkon dosent shoot and ask questions later asking questions is stupid