This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remember being able to rent and play used PC games?

#41sonicteam2k1Posted 10/7/2013 5:19:11 AM
with so many sales on PC games who cares.
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#42TeraPatrick2008Posted 10/7/2013 5:28:32 AM
Remember being able to pirate PC games? ......... Oh wait, that's still what most pc gamers do!
#43wanderzPosted 10/7/2013 5:43:14 AM
green man gaming still lets you "trade" some games back in... not exactly sure how that works, since i've never had a reason to.

they also often have even better deals then steam, even tho the games activate thru steam.

i was never able to find a place to rent pc games, i was told it was more of a west coast (of usa) thing.. sometimes you could buy them and return them, but if you did it too often, then they'd stop letting you return things. that actually went for both pc and consoles games.

unless it's changed however, if you work for gamestop you can take home games (1 or 2 at a time) and try them out then bring them back to the store. which makes sense because you want the employees to know about the games they sell... but is easily abused.
---
i tried being serious once, in 1989.. didn't particularly care for it.. so don't expect it to happen again.
#44ThePCElitistPosted 10/7/2013 5:55:08 AM
wanderz posted...
green man gaming still lets you "trade" some games back in... not exactly sure how that works, since i've never had a reason to.

they also often have even better deals then steam, even tho the games activate thru steam.

i was never able to find a place to rent pc games, i was told it was more of a west coast (of usa) thing.. sometimes you could buy them and return them, but if you did it too often, then they'd stop letting you return things. that actually went for both pc and consoles games.

unless it's changed however, if you work for gamestop you can take home games (1 or 2 at a time) and try them out then bring them back to the store. which makes sense because you want the employees to know about the games they sell... but is easily abused.

Their trade in program excludes a lot of games. Usually ones that require Steam.
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#45Bikes-Posted 10/7/2013 6:04:04 AM
wanderz posted...

They give you a bit of money and remove the game from your account, it's pretty limited since anything that requires a separate account can't be traded back for obvious reasons.

that being said, onlive had (has? I don't know if onlive is even still alive) game renting and it was awful, you would pay the same amount it cost to get the game during a steam sale to play the game for 3 days. Shame that it failed really, the service had a few good ideas that I would love to see in other clients.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#46eternalblue02Posted 10/7/2013 6:09:19 AM
EBgames about a decade ago used to sell used PC games but that didn't last once CD keys started rolling out.
#47Born LuckyPosted 10/7/2013 6:22:52 AM
I used to buy PC games at garage sales all the time.

Man, I miss doing that. I think I paid 5 bucks for BG II.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#48BeatEmandEatEmPosted 10/7/2013 6:25:28 AM
Yes and I miss those days. I like physically owning my things to trade, sell, loan or skeet shoot as I see fit. I also love the fact of leaving my children stuff. This country is so hung up on downloading cause its cheaper but really what do you own. That's a big reason there's strife in this country giving real money for fake crap. Enjoy your xbox live & psn dlc & games you won't have all of it for long !
#49DarthSchubertPosted 10/7/2013 6:34:01 AM
I don't ever remember renting PC games. I was playing PC games back on DOS.

Buying used was nice enough I guess, but essentially you bought a used game and knew you'd never be able to use multiplayer since the CD key would be taken. Didn't bother me on my 28k dial up but I think nowadays I might find it annoying.

What I DO actually miss are all the accompanying stuff. The massive manuals (looking at you, bioware you beautiful people), the maps, the cards etc. When I was a kid that stuff was amazing to me. Now I probably wouldn't be as into it but it was great at the time.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
#50DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/7/2013 6:37:47 AM
DarthSchubert posted...
What I DO actually miss are all the accompanying stuff. The massive manuals (looking at you, bioware you beautiful people), the maps, the cards etc. When I was a kid that stuff was amazing to me. Now I probably wouldn't be as into it but it was great at the time.

This indeed. I had a routine. Buy game, go home, open up game, smell the lovely chemicals, grab the giant manual and plop my ass on the toilet reading. I miss those days XD
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1