This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remember being able to rent and play used PC games?

#61ChargrilledPosted 10/7/2013 8:44:46 AM
Yes i remember it.

around about when magic carpet 2 was new.
---
GT : DeadJericho/PSN : Focalpoint/WiiU : FocalpointUK
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#62DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/7/2013 8:49:34 AM
I don't remember ever renting a game. I remember why "don't copy that floppy" came to be though. Also didn't really buy many games for pc back then. Shareware was plenty enough for me. I bet I still have a couple of the 2000 games on a single disc CD's around here somewhere. Getting a full episode for most games was a huge amount of content. Jill of the Jungle, Commander Keen, Secret Agent, Doom, Blood, Descent... so many great memories and all for free legally.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#63lovbbwsPosted 10/7/2013 9:00:21 AM
arleas posted...
both of these stores became what is now gamestop i think

I have good/fond memories of Babbage's.... but no love for Gamestop. Gamestop to me was just Funcoland with a different name. Babbages dealt mostly with computer software.

i agree i loved babbages was one of my favorites the EBX was a offshoot of electronics boutique i think that store was ok too but not as good as babbages i didnt think and i agree also i loathe gamestop funcoland was alot better also
#64ZarethPosted 10/7/2013 9:04:09 AM
jakisthe posted...
Honestly no. I remember being able to rent console games, but PC games had limited installs and key-codes as far back as I can remember.

This. No stores near me ever offered PC game rentals.
---
It's okay, I have no idea who I am either.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/sage_assassin20/13295475117601.gif http://i.imgur.com/WOo6wcq.png
#65KidIcarootsPosted 10/7/2013 9:09:45 AM
Mackorov posted...
Remember being able to rent and play used PC games?

Rent PC games? WTF???
#66KidIcarootsPosted 10/7/2013 9:11:57 AM
Also, Steam and digital distribution in general is better than game ranting services ever were..

Also, Blockbuster and it's cohorts are dead and long live dead businesses, right? Funk damn.
#67VeiledGenesisPosted 10/7/2013 9:48:11 AM
jakisthe posted...
Honestly no. I remember being able to rent console games, but PC games had limited installs and key-codes as far back as I can remember.

This topic wasn't meant for you.
---
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
#68KillerTrufflePosted 10/7/2013 9:51:40 AM
I never rented PC games, but I do remember seeing used PC games at like Hastings or wherever. Back in the day games were virtually all single-player, or at best with dialup multiplayer options (and many of those games worked with a single copy via spawns). I remember PC game rental being an *option* some places, but I never rented them.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#69DarthSchubertPosted 10/7/2013 9:58:21 AM
arleas posted...
both of these stores became what is now gamestop i think

I have good/fond memories of Babbage's.... but no love for Gamestop. Gamestop to me was just Funcoland with a different name. Babbages dealt mostly with computer software.

Funcoland! Oh man I forgot that place. I was 11-12 years old when I went there to sell a game and they offered me like $3 for it. I looked on the shelf and saw used games being sold for $40. I said to my mom "Nevermind it's a ripoff let's just go." Good lesson learned that day.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
#70PolarisPosted 10/7/2013 10:36:47 AM
I don't remember being able to rent PC games ever. There was shareware, there was used games, but rentals? How would that have ever worked on PC?