This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remember being able to rent and play used PC games?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Remember being able to rent and play used PC games?
2 years ago#61
Yes i remember it.

around about when magic carpet 2 was new.
---
GT : DeadJericho/PSN : Focalpoint/WiiU : FocalpointUK
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
2 years ago#62
I don't remember ever renting a game. I remember why "don't copy that floppy" came to be though. Also didn't really buy many games for pc back then. Shareware was plenty enough for me. I bet I still have a couple of the 2000 games on a single disc CD's around here somewhere. Getting a full episode for most games was a huge amount of content. Jill of the Jungle, Commander Keen, Secret Agent, Doom, Blood, Descent... so many great memories and all for free legally.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
2 years ago#63
arleas posted...
both of these stores became what is now gamestop i think

I have good/fond memories of Babbage's.... but no love for Gamestop. Gamestop to me was just Funcoland with a different name. Babbages dealt mostly with computer software.

i agree i loved babbages was one of my favorites the EBX was a offshoot of electronics boutique i think that store was ok too but not as good as babbages i didnt think and i agree also i loathe gamestop funcoland was alot better also
2 years ago#64
jakisthe posted...
Honestly no. I remember being able to rent console games, but PC games had limited installs and key-codes as far back as I can remember.

This. No stores near me ever offered PC game rentals.
---
It's okay, I have no idea who I am either.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/sage_assassin20/13295475117601.gif http://i.imgur.com/WOo6wcq.png
2 years ago#65
Mackorov posted...
Remember being able to rent and play used PC games?

Rent PC games? WTF???
2 years ago#66
Also, Steam and digital distribution in general is better than game ranting services ever were..

Also, Blockbuster and it's cohorts are dead and long live dead businesses, right? Funk damn.
2 years ago#67
jakisthe posted...
Honestly no. I remember being able to rent console games, but PC games had limited installs and key-codes as far back as I can remember.

This topic wasn't meant for you.
---
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
2 years ago#68
I never rented PC games, but I do remember seeing used PC games at like Hastings or wherever. Back in the day games were virtually all single-player, or at best with dialup multiplayer options (and many of those games worked with a single copy via spawns). I remember PC game rental being an *option* some places, but I never rented them.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
2 years ago#69
arleas posted...
both of these stores became what is now gamestop i think

I have good/fond memories of Babbage's.... but no love for Gamestop. Gamestop to me was just Funcoland with a different name. Babbages dealt mostly with computer software.

Funcoland! Oh man I forgot that place. I was 11-12 years old when I went there to sell a game and they offered me like $3 for it. I looked on the shelf and saw used games being sold for $40. I said to my mom "Nevermind it's a ripoff let's just go." Good lesson learned that day.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
2 years ago#70
I don't remember being able to rent PC games ever. There was shareware, there was used games, but rentals? How would that have ever worked on PC?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Remember being able to rent and play used PC games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived