This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Remember being able to rent and play used PC games?

#81Knight2520Posted 10/7/2013 1:15:20 PM
Mackorov posted...

Who else than to thank Valve's Steam for that?

Developers and publishers from the late 90's and early 2000's. Not Valve.
---
If AMD goes down Intel might safely release i9 for $300 and i7 for $200 and i5 for $100 and i3 for free. - su27Chaos<
#82KillerTrufflePosted 10/7/2013 1:24:50 PM
DRM was a thing *long* before Steam showed up.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#83kingoffpsPosted 10/7/2013 1:36:50 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
DRM was a thing *long* before Steam showed up.

Yeah man. Steam is actually pretty decent.

Anyone remember Starforce protection? It was with SC: Chaos Theory and some other games back in the mid 00s.

Absolute nightmare.
---
i7 920 @ 3.6GHz, 3.8GHz (single-thread mode), MSI X58 Platinum, 6GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950 (1100/1450), 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
#84Hicks233Posted 10/7/2013 2:25:47 PM
Remember it very well. Then Valve screwed it up and turned pc gaming into a fetid hole of drm, cheapskates and the throwing away of consumer rights all in the name of abject laziness - or convenience as they would have it.
---
http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=9458
Sheep are propper dumb, they run away when you go to stroke em
#85KillerTrufflePosted 10/7/2013 2:34:11 PM
Hicks233 posted...
Remember it very well. Then Valve screwed it up and turned pc gaming into a fetid hole of drm, cheapskates and the throwing away of consumer rights all in the name of abject laziness - or convenience as they would have it.

Wow... a post by someone who fails with knowledge of the history of DRM, fails to read other posts here, and full of ignorant, uninformed bias. Who'da thunk.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#86Hicks233Posted 10/7/2013 2:48:19 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Hicks233 posted...

Wow... a post by someone who fails with knowledge of the history of DRM, fails to read other posts here, and full of ignorant, uninformed bias. Who'da thunk.

While cd key based drm like securom and in particular tages had issuess and residual registry entries and starforce had issues with optical drives the the product could still be resold.

Once the momentum and both voluntary and forced usage of the steam client increased then there was a shift to onlie tied drm - limited activations securom, uplay, gfwl, origin and even a further level of .exe drm encryption with steamworks.

Sure there is a grassroots anti-drm approach with gog, but for the most part pc gaming has shifted to drm.
---
http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=9458
Sheep are propper dumb, they run away when you go to stroke em
#87SinfullyvannilaPosted 10/8/2013 4:50:49 AM
The issue PC gamers originally had with DRM was that it negatively affected the games on a technical level. Honestly, IMO, people complaining about the mere presence of DRM that doesn't actually interfere with the game is just pointless *****ing.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch