This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Packard Bell iXtreme 6523 - Any good for gaming?

#1Deaths_BladePosted 10/7/2013 3:13:42 AM(edited)
I've been offered a Packard Bell iXtreme 6523 by a relative. The spec is as follows. It seems pretty good by my understanding, what do you think?

Specifications:
Processor: Intel Core i5 650 4MB
Motherboard: Intel H57
RAM: 3GB x 2
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD5450 512

I've also gotten my hands on an SSD for the OS, either Windows 7 or 8.

I did post a build topic a week or two ago, but this option is less costly for me.
---
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it - Thomas Paine: The American Crisis IV
#2Lonestar2000Posted 10/7/2013 3:58:12 AM
The CPU is 3 generations old and the GPU is total crap.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#3Reaper_MinionPosted 10/7/2013 4:10:58 AM
It's garbage. I wouldn't buy it for $200.
---
/|\ http://i.imgur.com/hK9c1lo.jpg?1
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
#4AsucaHayashiPosted 10/7/2013 4:20:34 AM
the cpu is apparently weaker than my phenom II 920 but it's still a decent low end setup.

you need a better gpu though like a 7770 or whatever but don't know if your psu is enough for it or not.

with that you can probably play all games out with the most recent demanding ones at low settings@720P.

it's a decent option if you've got no money(gotta spend $100~ for the 7770 though and like $50 more if your psu is crap).
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#5Deaths_Blade(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 5:03:38 AM
OK then, any suggestions on the GPU and CPU that I could upgrade it with? I've been offered the base unit for 200. I can afford to spend another 100 or so on upgrades.
---
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it - Thomas Paine: The American Crisis IV
#6Lonestar2000Posted 10/7/2013 5:06:21 AM
Deaths_Blade posted...
OK then, any suggestions on the GPU and CPU that I could upgrade it with? I've been offered the base unit for 200. I can afford to spend another 100 or so on upgrades.

Save your money and actually buy something decent.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#7AsucaHayashiPosted 10/7/2013 5:13:08 AM
thought you were getting it for free.

yeah, use your 300 to get a ps4 or something if you want a gaming device.

either that or save up till you can get a proper computer or the steambox etc.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#8Deaths_Blade(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 6:38:07 AM(edited)
AsucaHayashi posted...

Yeah, I thought it was free too. Either I spent 200+however much for the upgrades, or 600 on my decent build.

As I'm currently unemployed however, I can't really save for the better one. Therefore, how would I go about making this into a reasonable low-cost build?
---
#9JowyBlightPosted 10/7/2013 6:45:26 AM
Deaths_Blade posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...

Yeah, I thought it was free too. Either I spent 200+however much for the upgrades, or 600 on my decent build.

As I'm currently unemployed however, I can't really save for the better one. Therefore, how would I go about making this into a reasonable low-cost build?

Don't get that, why would you ever want years old crap for 200 quid. You're better off searching for a decent refurb from this year from Dell or something or put together a decent machine now (mobo + CPU) and add a better GFX card later.
---
"Riou...you came. Just like you promised. ...here we are ...here once again."
#10chrono625Posted 10/7/2013 6:45:57 AM
Deaths_Blade posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...

If you're unemployed then maybe you're better off not buying anything right now and getting a job first.
---
http://tinyurl.com/7wjgorf - Super Bowl XXI/XXV/XLII/XLVI Champions - NY Giants
Eli Manning SB tracker: 2/2 Superbowls 2/2 SBMVP's