This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playing on a TV...

#1xKANONxPosted 10/7/2013 7:48:55 AM
I would like to play some games on my living room TV and my PC is in a separate room, is there any way to do this wirelessly? or is getting a really long HDMI cable my only choice?
#2GoIrish80Posted 10/7/2013 7:53:00 AM
Getting a long HDMI cable is really your only option as of right now, however in the future you're going to be able to stream Steam games from one "main" PC to another so you could get a "Steam box" for your TV and stream them from your main PC to that in the future.

Depending on the setup of where your PC is right now as compared to your living room, using a long HDMI cable may not be out of the question. Can you run it through the walls?
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#3xKANONx(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 7:59:27 AM
GoIrish80 posted...
Getting a long HDMI cable is really your only option as of right now, however in the future you're going to be able to stream Steam games from one "main" PC to another so you could get a "Steam box" for your TV and stream them from your main PC to that in the future.

Depending on the setup of where your PC is right now as compared to your living room, using a long HDMI cable may not be out of the question. Can you run it through the walls?

yeah with a some work I'm sure I could make it work without having to run the cable through the hallways, I was just wondering if there was some type of streaming option to avoid the hassle, but I guess I'll just have to wait for the Steam Box then.
#4DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/7/2013 8:01:11 AM(edited)
Wireless tech still sucks. I've recently looked into it and to get a stable 1080p without much interference or compression, you need to have a line of sight between the two devices, and the solution would cost anywhere from 500 to 2000 dollars. I've tried some of the cheaper options and they were utter crap.

Edit: This is without having a full on pc for streaming. I think a pc to pc connection could be workable but last time I did so, there was some obvious input lag.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#5Mega_TyrantPosted 10/7/2013 8:01:00 AM
There's WiDi, but that's an Intel only solution. Plus I have no idea how well it works.
---
Bludgeo'd for hammer...
GIGABYTE GA-Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i7-4770K | Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 | SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
#6xKANONx(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 8:02:30 AM(edited)
Wireless tech still sucks. I've recently looked into it and to get a stable 1080p without much interference or compression, you need to have a line of sight between the two devices, and the solution would cost anywhere from 500 to 2000 dollars. I've tried some of the cheaper options and they were utter crap.

There's WiDi, but that's an Intel only solution. Plus I have no idea how well it works.

yeah I was gonna ask about this Wireless Display stuff, but I'm pretty sure it would suck for gaming...
#7GoIrish80Posted 10/7/2013 8:07:07 AM(edited)
I find the work to be very much worth what you get out of it in regards to running it through the wall.

I have my PC in one room hooked up to a 27" 1440p monitor and an HDMI cable going through the wall to my living room so whenever I want a 65" 1080p/awesome surround sound experience, I've got it easily. I also ran a USB cable through the wall so I have a powered USB hub in the living room that I have an Xbox 360 wireless receiver and the Media Center IR receiver hooked up to which allows me to use a logitech harmony remote to turn the PC off and on.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2