This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I put Windows 7 on my friend's Windows 8 laptop, and now the Internet won't work

#1Pepys MonsterPosted 10/7/2013 9:09:26 AM
Apparently HP doesn't make drivers for Windows 7. Is there any kind of workaround to get this laptop to function with Windows 7? I'm guessing Windows 8 drivers won't be compatible.
---
i5-3570K | AMD 7850 1GB | 8GB DDR3 1866 | ASRock Z77 | Intel 330 240GB | 2x2TB HDDs | Antec 650W 80+ Platinum | Windows 7 | Blu-Ray combo burner | Asus Xonar DX
#2KillerTrufflePosted 10/7/2013 9:22:39 AM
Why did you go backwards? Windows 8 supports everything Windows 7 does and more, and there are ways to tweak it to behave just like 7 if you don't like 8...
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#3HydroCannabinolPosted 10/7/2013 9:23:15 AM
You're a great friend.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#4Pepys Monster(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 9:23:48 AM
He hated Windows 8 and wanted 7.
---
i5-3570K | AMD 7850 1GB | 8GB DDR3 1866 | ASRock Z77 | Intel 330 240GB | 2x2TB HDDs | Antec 650W 80+ Platinum | Windows 7 | Blu-Ray combo burner | Asus Xonar DX
#5Rolen47Posted 10/7/2013 9:28:48 AM
Pepys Monster posted...
I'm guessing Windows 8 drivers won't be compatible.

You shouldn't guess, you should try.
#6El MagnificoPosted 10/7/2013 9:29:31 AM
In general, the drivers are the same between Windows 7 and Windows 8. However, HP's drivers may not let you install on a Windows 7 PC even if they are technically compatible. I would give it a try and see if it'll install in Windows 7.

You probably would have been better off leaving Windows 8 on the PC and just installing something like Classic Shell to give you the old Start Menu and disable the Start Screen. With that setup most people probably can't tell Windows 8 from Windows 7.

#7Teufel_xPosted 10/7/2013 9:30:17 AM
go to the actual part manufacturer website & get drivers for him.

just look up your wifi card.
---
Playin Oldschool games for your enjoyment :)
MAG - 4X VET, PSN ID: Teufel9000 add me for Games!
#8KillerTrufflePosted 10/7/2013 9:32:06 AM
Again... they effectively work the same. It doesn't make sense to me to go backward like that. You can still set it to boot directly to desktop, there are ways to get the traditional Start button and menu back... If he'd just done that instead of installing an older, unsupported OS, he wouldn't be having this trouble.

You can try downloading and manually installing the Windows 8 drivers, but obviously they won't be officially supported, so your best bet is likely to be actually putting Windows 8 back on there and setting it to behave like 7.

I was pissed at Windows 8 when I first started using it - it actually changed my settings after one of the Windows updates to automatically install updates again (without asking or notifying me), and ended up forcing a reboot while I was in the middle of a game, causing me to lose not only that game, but information I had open in other programs as well. Since then, tho, I re-selected the "ask me" option, and haven't had an issue since. It works just like 7. Does your friend actually have a halfway decent reason for disliking 8, or is he just trying to be part of the cool crowd by hating it without even knowing why, in which case I don't really care what problems he's having since he brought them on himself.
---
#9Teufel_xPosted 10/7/2013 9:37:43 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Again... they effectively work the same. It doesn't make sense to me to go backward like that. You can still set it to boot directly to desktop, there are ways to get the traditional Start button and menu back... If he'd just done that instead of installing an older, unsupported OS, he wouldn't be having this trouble.

You can try downloading and manually installing the Windows 8 drivers, but obviously they won't be officially supported, so your best bet is likely to be actually putting Windows 8 back on there and setting it to behave like 7.

I was pissed at Windows 8 when I first started using it - it actually changed my settings after one of the Windows updates to automatically install updates again (without asking or notifying me), and ended up forcing a reboot while I was in the middle of a game, causing me to lose not only that game, but information I had open in other programs as well. Since then, tho, I re-selected the "ask me" option, and haven't had an issue since. It works just like 7. Does your friend actually have a halfway decent reason for disliking 8, or is he just trying to be part of the cool crowd by hating it without even knowing why, in which case I don't really care what problems he's having since he brought them on himself.

or he could download the actual part manufacturer website's W7 drivers and not HPs like i suggested.
---
Playin Oldschool games for your enjoyment :)
MAG - 4X VET, PSN ID: Teufel9000 add me for Games!
#10KillerTrufflePosted 10/7/2013 9:40:55 AM
Teufel_x posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

or he could download the actual part manufacturer website's W7 drivers and not HPs like i suggested.

Assuming he can find that... Not all part manufacturers offer reference drivers for download, and many of those that do make them pretty hard to find. And he's still going to be better off in the long run with Windows 8, since that's going to help him keep things up to date in the future as well.
---