This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will Windows ever die?

#1anyninjaPosted 10/7/2013 11:01:42 AM
I just read an article that essentially said Microsoft will lose more and more market-share in the OS industry to companies like Apple and Google with new Android and Linux based systems.

But doesn't the massive catalog of games that use Windows insure we'll always need to use it--at least the people interested in playing those games?
---
Your mission ends when the ground runs red with vengeance
Scram, you kids
#2ElfergosPosted 10/7/2013 11:05:22 AM
I certainly hope so, I don't like the fact that legacy can ensure your future, there is a lot right about widows but unfortunately a lot wrong as well and it still feels bloated. Microsoft seems to be more of a follower of trends right now.
#3darkstar4221Posted 10/7/2013 11:07:07 AM(edited)
Windows won't lose marketshare to the Mac that's for sure, maybe Linux. Android and iOS are only popular in tablets and smartphones, not the PC.

As pointed out in this article Microsoft still has a monopoly in the PC desktop market.

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/2012/01/microsoft_still_has_.html
#4Rexdragon125Posted 10/7/2013 11:08:27 AM
Thankfully no. I'd hate to be stuck using Loonix on the desktop.
#5darkstar4221Posted 10/7/2013 11:09:58 AM
Rexdragon125 posted...
Thankfully no. I'd hate to be stuck using Loonix on the desktop.

Well PC sales are the lowest this year in history, and with Steam supporting Linux, eventually Windows will lose market-share overtime.
#6anyninja(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 11:23:04 AM
I hope we don't go from one monopoly to another. No matter how "do no evil" a company like Google is, ultimate power corrupts all.
---
Your mission ends when the ground runs red with vengeance
Scram, you kids
#7ThunderPotatoPosted 10/7/2013 12:53:04 PM
anyninja posted...
I hope we don't go from one monopoly to another. No matter how "do no evil" a company like Google is, ultimate power corrupts all.

They're not a "do no evil" company anymore anyways.
---
Signature.
#8thatauthorPosted 10/7/2013 1:28:57 PM
From: ThunderPotato | Posted: 10/7/2013 3:53:04 PM | #007
They're not a "do no evil" company anymore anyways.

they were at one point in time?
---
Freud says "Hi!" ~ unknown
#9Bazooka_PenguinPosted 10/7/2013 1:29:13 PM
Windows isn't going anywhere. Too much work is done on it. The claim that Macs are kings of content creation is a myth of the early 00s and Linux isn't a suitable replacement because very few commercial software developers even consider it a viable platform.

As for gaming moving to linux, I also doubt it. People are going to jump on it and leave with a bad taste in their mouths. Obviously the biggest (consumer) supporters of linux as a gaming platform are linux fans, a tiny minority.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#10Golden MavenPosted 10/7/2013 1:44:05 PM
Elfergos posted...
there is a lot right about widows but unfortunately a lot wrong as well and it still feels bloated

How does Windows feel bloated? I'm running Windows 8 right now, I don't believe system requirements have went up much since Vista... They continue to optimize Windows with each release, not bloat.

Windows 8, is, hand-down, the best O.S. out there right now. The closest are Windows 7 and Vista.

I'd use Vista before Linux.