This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will Windows ever die?

#31TheMisfitPosted 10/7/2013 5:12:38 PM
Everything will die sooner or later, it's a fact of creation. So yes.
---
GameFAQs fanboy for 12 years.
#32urtvPosted 10/7/2013 5:30:04 PM
it will never die especially in the corporate environment
#33Golden MavenPosted 10/7/2013 7:39:37 PM
rusty12000 posted...
Windows 8 is terrible

How so? In some situations I prefer to have the Windows 7 interface, but I would rather run Windows 8 + classic shell.

If someone can articulate what makes Windows 8 so bad, I'm all hears. I wish it would be deeper than skin though, because classic shell covers the whole "I don't like the start screen".
#34rpgianPosted 10/7/2013 7:39:41 PM
They have enough money for 40 more flops. Then they could finance 400 more. Might even get a bailout!
They are bound to get something right again at some point.
#35GarhinderPosted 10/7/2013 8:00:40 PM
I don't want it to die. I want its market share to go down. 40% tops, but I'd like for Linux, OS X and Windows to just have a third of the pie each.
#36kobalobasileusPosted 10/7/2013 9:49:24 PM
Windows will never "die," but MS could certainly kill it. Considering all the horrible decisions MS has made recently regarding the XBONE and Windows 8, I find that I actually have to lend some credence to Gaben's formerly lunatic fringe position about Windows.
#37freakaccidentPosted 10/7/2013 10:01:31 PM
I was at a Micro center and overheard too elderly women asking for a new PC but they made it clear they want Windows 7 and not Windows 8. The fact that too elderly women know that Windows 8 is that bad and that you can opt for Windows 7 on new PCs is a pretty big sign that Windows may be dying if M$ doesn't get their **** straight.
#38SteamsterPosted 10/7/2013 10:03:43 PM
Could go either way.

In my lifetime I don't really see it happening but I wouldn't be surprised. Give it a thousand years and I wouldn't bat an eye if some future-techno-wizard told me that Windows is a thing of the past.
#39Knight2520Posted 10/7/2013 10:13:02 PM
freakaccident posted...
I was at a Micro center and overheard too elderly women asking for a new PC but they made it clear they want Windows 7 and not Windows 8. The fact that too elderly women know that Windows 8 is that bad and that you can opt for Windows 7 on new PCs is a pretty big sign that Windows may be dying if M$ doesn't get their **** straight.

That's not indicative of anything. You don't know why they wanted Windows 7 over 8, or the cause of that opinion.
---
If AMD goes down Intel might safely release i9 for $300 and i7 for $200 and i5 for $100 and i3 for free. - su27Chaos<
#40AcquirePosted 10/7/2013 11:24:49 PM
I've still yet to see an actual valid complaint against Windows 8 other than people, that haven't even bothered really using it, not liking the new start screen. This new start screen is also just a replacement for the start menu and it works a lot better than the start menu in Windows 7. It's actually useful for something other than searching. Other than that everything else is all around easier to use. Windows 8.1 also allows a boot to desktop option. I use it daily and have no complaints. The main thing I've noticed is that it certainly feels a lot faster than Windows 7.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.