This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the oldest computer you own?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's the oldest computer you own?

User Info: Nicodimus

Nicodimus
3 years ago#21
Worknofun370 posted...
Nicodimus posted...

Can you give me some examples so that I know if that's something I should do down the road?

Absolutely.

One of the first things I did with my server was turn it into a "Media Center Server." I setup a few programs that may not be completely legal that downloads various television shows, or movies, automatically. . Kinda sorta like a DVR, but not at all like a DVR.

I then just setup it up with minidlna and then stream the content to the TVs in my house (Since the content is HD an 360/PS3 don't really cut it for DLNA Streaming. I have a smart TV that has it, and I have a WDTV for my other TV and it works great.)

That was the easiest thing I did that required pretty little setup outside the server itself. After that I've setup things like a password safe on that box so I can connect in from anywhere and look up passwords (Access is via keys not a password). Also very easy, but I did have to setup a domain and such (I also had access to a Static IP, which made things nice.)

Since then I setup another server for backups, to handle DNS, and to function as a router. And i'm currently in the process of setting things up so I can monitor things in my house with the server, like lights/locks etc.

If you're not savvy with computers, or you don't like messing around and setting stuff like that up... you probably will hate it with a passion haha, but if not it's pretty fun and you really get a lot of functionality out of it.

Hmmm. Looking this over:

-DVR (I already have an Oppo BDP-103 I use for watching shows/movies in the living room.)

-Backup (I have multiple 3TB drives for this already.)

-Router (already have one to allow the PC and PS3 to both go online, but that's all I need.)

-Turning on lights/locking doors (well, you've got me there. I live in a old house from the 1800s that has extremely suspect wiring, flimsy doors with no deadbolts, etc. Couldn't even do that if I wanted to, since I rent.)

I guess it just depends on your situation. Like I said, I'm something of a pragmatist. If something stops being useful for me I'm typically just going to sell it. Glad you get some use out of your old PCs though.
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64

User Info: Worknofun370

Worknofun370
3 years ago#22
Nicodimus posted...

Hmmm. Looking this over:

-DVR (I already have an Oppo BDP-103 I use for watching shows/movies in the living room.)

-Backup (I have multiple 3TB drives for this already.)

-Router (already have one to allow the PC and PS3 to both go online, but that's all I need.)

-Turning on lights/locking doors (well, you've got me there. I live in a old house from the 1800s that has extremely suspect wiring, flimsy doors with no deadbolts, etc. Couldn't even do that if I wanted to, since I rent.)

I guess it just depends on your situation. Like I said, I'm something of a pragmatist. If something stops being useful for me I'm typically just going to sell it. Glad you get some use out of your old PCs though.

There's a little bit more to centralized backup than just storage space. ;)

It's easy to do what I have setup without a server, no doubt about it. However, I would argue I probably have better functionality in all 3 of those things with the server setup compared to yours, however I don't really know your setup so I'm easily wrong there.

User Info: Treason686

Treason686
3 years ago#23
Ch3wy posted...
My village only has one computer.

This made me lol

Own a "netbook."

Today, it would be classified as an "Ultrabook," but it has an AMD processor. 13.3" screen, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, and under 4LBs. I paid under $400 for it a few years ago.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114947

So... Why are "Ultrabooks" so freaking expensive? Toshiba was ahead of the game on this one. Apparently AMD was, too.
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h

User Info: Treason686

Treason686
3 years ago#24
Nicodimus posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
Nicodimus posted...
People own more than one?

Uhh, yeah... I didn't realize that was unusual to anyone

I guess I'm more pragmatic than some. If I have a newer, faster computer, there is no reason to keep the old one around. Might as well sell it to offset some of the cost of the new one. I guess if you live with someone else, you could give it to them, but I'm not in that situation.

One desktop, one laptop. Tablet. Smartphone.

I own four computers, and I am able to use all the major OS's: iOS, Windows, OSX, Android, and Linux. Tablets and smartphones are computers.
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h

User Info: mess98

mess98
3 years ago#25
I have a Compaq Presario from 1999 hanging around here somewhere...
AMD K6-2 400 Mhz processor
64MB RAM
1GB Hard drive

Man, that thing was a beast at the time hahahaha
Windows 8.Core i7 4770.Geforce GTX 660 Ti.8GB Ram.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What's the oldest computer you own?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived