This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the oldest computer you own?

#21NicodimusPosted 10/7/2013 5:14:51 PM
Worknofun370 posted...
Nicodimus posted...

Can you give me some examples so that I know if that's something I should do down the road?

Absolutely.

One of the first things I did with my server was turn it into a "Media Center Server." I setup a few programs that may not be completely legal that downloads various television shows, or movies, automatically. . Kinda sorta like a DVR, but not at all like a DVR.

I then just setup it up with minidlna and then stream the content to the TVs in my house (Since the content is HD an 360/PS3 don't really cut it for DLNA Streaming. I have a smart TV that has it, and I have a WDTV for my other TV and it works great.)

That was the easiest thing I did that required pretty little setup outside the server itself. After that I've setup things like a password safe on that box so I can connect in from anywhere and look up passwords (Access is via keys not a password). Also very easy, but I did have to setup a domain and such (I also had access to a Static IP, which made things nice.)

Since then I setup another server for backups, to handle DNS, and to function as a router. And i'm currently in the process of setting things up so I can monitor things in my house with the server, like lights/locks etc.

If you're not savvy with computers, or you don't like messing around and setting stuff like that up... you probably will hate it with a passion haha, but if not it's pretty fun and you really get a lot of functionality out of it.

Hmmm. Looking this over:

-DVR (I already have an Oppo BDP-103 I use for watching shows/movies in the living room.)

-Backup (I have multiple 3TB drives for this already.)

-Router (already have one to allow the PC and PS3 to both go online, but that's all I need.)

-Turning on lights/locking doors (well, you've got me there. I live in a old house from the 1800s that has extremely suspect wiring, flimsy doors with no deadbolts, etc. Couldn't even do that if I wanted to, since I rent.)

I guess it just depends on your situation. Like I said, I'm something of a pragmatist. If something stops being useful for me I'm typically just going to sell it. Glad you get some use out of your old PCs though.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#22Worknofun370Posted 10/7/2013 6:01:46 PM
Nicodimus posted...

Hmmm. Looking this over:

-DVR (I already have an Oppo BDP-103 I use for watching shows/movies in the living room.)

-Backup (I have multiple 3TB drives for this already.)

-Router (already have one to allow the PC and PS3 to both go online, but that's all I need.)

-Turning on lights/locking doors (well, you've got me there. I live in a old house from the 1800s that has extremely suspect wiring, flimsy doors with no deadbolts, etc. Couldn't even do that if I wanted to, since I rent.)

I guess it just depends on your situation. Like I said, I'm something of a pragmatist. If something stops being useful for me I'm typically just going to sell it. Glad you get some use out of your old PCs though.

There's a little bit more to centralized backup than just storage space. ;)

It's easy to do what I have setup without a server, no doubt about it. However, I would argue I probably have better functionality in all 3 of those things with the server setup compared to yours, however I don't really know your setup so I'm easily wrong there.
#23Treason686Posted 10/7/2013 6:13:48 PM
Ch3wy posted...
My village only has one computer.

This made me lol

Own a "netbook."

Today, it would be classified as an "Ultrabook," but it has an AMD processor. 13.3" screen, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, and under 4LBs. I paid under $400 for it a few years ago.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114947

So... Why are "Ultrabooks" so freaking expensive? Toshiba was ahead of the game on this one. Apparently AMD was, too.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#24Treason686Posted 10/7/2013 6:16:13 PM
Nicodimus posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
Nicodimus posted...
People own more than one?

Uhh, yeah... I didn't realize that was unusual to anyone

I guess I'm more pragmatic than some. If I have a newer, faster computer, there is no reason to keep the old one around. Might as well sell it to offset some of the cost of the new one. I guess if you live with someone else, you could give it to them, but I'm not in that situation.

One desktop, one laptop. Tablet. Smartphone.

I own four computers, and I am able to use all the major OS's: iOS, Windows, OSX, Android, and Linux. Tablets and smartphones are computers.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#25mess98Posted 10/7/2013 6:21:33 PM
I have a Compaq Presario from 1999 hanging around here somewhere...
AMD K6-2 400 Mhz processor
64MB RAM
1GB Hard drive

Man, that thing was a beast at the time hahahaha
---
Windows 8.Core i7 4770.Geforce GTX 660 Ti.8GB Ram.