This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone know how to get a microsoft DRM media license?

#1DanielW123456Posted 10/7/2013 11:03:14 AM
I moved my music from my old PC to my new PC and it wont work on any player. When I try to play it on Windows Media Player, it directs me to a website that says this:

A license is required to play this file
The file you are trying to play was ripped (copied) from an audio CD.

During the ripping process, the file was "protected." This limits the number of computers on which the file can be played.

To play the file on this computer, you must download a license (a process known as "license migration"). A license acts an electronic key that allows you to "unlock" a protected file and play it.

To download a license for this file, click Download License.

The problem is, I can click the button to download, but the download never starts.

The link is too long to post alone, I can post it, but I'm unsure if Tinylink is allowed here or not.
#2lionheart5656Posted 10/7/2013 11:15:26 AM
O how naive the masses are.

I remember having limited installs back when I was 5.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#3DanielW123456(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 11:18:44 AM(edited)
Yeah, most of this music is pretty old. It was on a hard drive I've had since 2004. Can you help with my problem?
#4lionheart5656Posted 10/7/2013 11:27:19 AM
DanielW123456 posted...
Yeah, most of this music is pretty old. It was on a hard drive I've had since 2004. Can you help with my problem?

Would have if I could have. Never had that problem and the only solution I have for you would get me modded and possibly strike someone's adorable view on morality.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#5El MagnificoPosted 10/7/2013 11:41:35 AM
You're probably out of luck. I recall reading a couple of years ago about how Microsoft was shutting down their music DRM validation services since they stopped including DRM in the music they were selling. I don't think you'll be able to get a new license now. If this was music that you ripped yourself using Windows Media Player, then you're equally out of luck since you generated the license and you're supposed to make a backup of the license.

I think the only alternative that exists now would be to look for DRM stripping software. I sort of recall some of these DRM stripping software required you to have an active license so that it could decode the file and make a copy without the DRM so I'm not even sure if that can help you now.

#6DanielW123456(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 11:47:24 AM
El Magnifico posted...
You're probably out of luck. I recall reading a couple of years ago about how Microsoft was shutting down their music DRM validation services since they stopped including DRM in the music they were selling. I don't think you'll be able to get a new license now. If this was music that you ripped yourself using Windows Media Player, then you're equally out of luck since you generated the license and you're supposed to make a backup of the license.

I think the only alternative that exists now would be to look for DRM stripping software. I sort of recall some of these DRM stripping software required you to have an active license so that it could decode the file and make a copy without the DRM so I'm not even sure if that can help you now.

I still have my old PC, I think it should still work. Any way to copy my DRM license to a flash drive and move it to my new hard drive?

If so, where should I look for that license?
#7El MagnificoPosted 10/7/2013 12:04:33 PM
Microsoft has an article about how to backup and restore the license here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/265473

However, I did find another article that says that updated versions of Windows Media Player doesn't support backing up of the license and sort of implies that you can't restore the license using more recent versions of Windows Media Player either. You can read more about that here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925707

Also, the restore process from the first article says that you need to have Microsoft issue you new licenses online when doing a restore. As I said before, I don't believe Microsoft's DRM services are active anymore. I guess it's still worth a try, but at the same time I don't want to get your hopes up.