This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is installing a new processor yourself difficult ?

#1CM_MojicaPosted 10/7/2013 4:48:56 PM
My gpu is a 7970 and my current processor is an i5-2500 3.3ghz ( something like that ). Something is telling me that it may be time to upgrade the processor. If it is simple, What do you recommend in the 200 buck area?
#2TheFeshPincePosted 10/7/2013 4:50:09 PM
Yes. It's easy, but I would suggest switching the motherboard, as well, to go with a newer CPU like a Haswell i5 or i7.
---
http://i.imgur.com/J0lvB6S.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/DoHj9yA.jpg | http://youtu.be/YXkx-PSwbG4
#3gsf4lyfePosted 10/7/2013 4:53:54 PM
TheFeshPince posted...
Yes. It's easy, but I would suggest switching the motherboard, as well, to go with a newer CPU like a Haswell i5 or i7.

Would the cost of upgrading the mobo be worth the marginal performance improvement that Haswell would offer over Ivy Bridge? That is assuming his current mobo has a decent chipset.
---
Currently playing: GTA V
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#4CircleOfManiasPosted 10/7/2013 4:54:13 PM
It's easy, the only part that's a bit of a pain is pushing down the lever to keep it in place. Zero insertion force, my ass.
---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
#5clowningPosted 10/7/2013 4:57:45 PM
CircleOfManias posted...
It's easy, the only part that's a bit of a pain is pushing down the lever to keep it in place. Zero insertion force, my ass.

This. especially if you have thicker fingers.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#6MMaestroPosted 10/7/2013 4:57:47 PM
Its very difficult. Ignore the other guys, they're just hardcore veterans who have gotten used to the difficulty of doing so. When you're struggling with the processor fan and how much force to use on the lever, you'll curse those jerks.
#7CM_Mojica(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 5:01:43 PM
gsf4lyfe posted...
TheFeshPince posted...

Would the cost of upgrading the mobo be worth the marginal performance improvement that Haswell would offer over Ivy Bridge? That is assuming his current mobo has a decent chipset.

My mobo is an intel dh67bl. ( that's what it says on my pc ) chipset model is sandy bridge.
#8JsReznorPosted 10/7/2013 5:02:16 PM
getting the levers down the first time - no problem
forgetting to add the thermal paste and having to do it again - total biatch
#9gsf4lyfePosted 10/7/2013 5:08:33 PM
CM_Mojica posted...
gsf4lyfe posted...
TheFeshPince posted...

My mobo is an intel dh67bl. ( that's what it says on my pc ) chipset model is sandy bridge.

I would get a new mobo. Yours isn't meant for overclocking. And just FYI chipset refers to the north bridge and south bridge on your mobo, not your processor. In this case your chipset is an H87.
---
Currently playing: GTA V
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#10CM_Mojica(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 5:14:12 PM
Maybe I'll take it to a shop to install the part I may buy. I don't trust myself. ..