This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

how do you zone offices in SimCity 4?

#1galfasanta1111Posted 10/7/2013 7:01:09 PM
I can only zone commercial buildings, but not offices.

How do offices come about?
---
i7 3930k @ 3.2ghz | GTX 580 | 8GB DDR3 | 875W
#2Knight2520Posted 10/7/2013 7:03:35 PM(edited)
Are you referring to skyscrapers, or medium height commercial offices?

For the former, you need high property values and in general a very desirable area, and zone it with dense commercial. For the former, I think medium density commercial is enough, but they're generated somewhat randomly. It takes time to grow a downtown area.
---
If AMD goes down Intel might safely release i9 for $300 and i7 for $200 and i5 for $100 and i3 for free. - su27Chaos<
#3galfasanta1111(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 7:18:07 PM
So commercial service turns into commercial office over time? (In a high desireability area)
---
#4Eclypse9810Posted 10/7/2013 8:30:46 PM
Things like airports give a nice boost, as well as some reward buildings (especially stock market).

#1 thing commercial offices need is traffic going by their road. More traffic = more customers = a happier building. However, if it's so much traffic that commuters get blocked there for days, your city will fall apart. You need traffic, and thus you need smart use of avenues, freeways and public transit to get the best results.

A good desirability is needed too. Things like pollution or crime will make any high wealth office building you get become abandoned.

BTW, you need 30,000 CO$$ jobs in your region before you get CO$$ skyscrapers, and likewise for the CO$$$ ones. You probably already have office buildings in your current city, they're just not the towering skyscrapers you want them to be yet.
---
Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
#5galfasanta1111(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 1:57:25 AM
Does high-tech industry automatically overwrite dirty industry?

To be specific, does high-tech industry override dirty industry when your populace becomes educated?
---
#6Eclypse9810Posted 10/8/2013 5:49:55 AM
galfasanta1111 posted...
Does high-tech industry automatically overwrite dirty industry?

To be specific, does high-tech industry override dirty industry when your populace becomes educated?

Well, no :S. Manufacturing does. For high-tech, you need both education and high desirability, so if you want to get some high tech buildings in your dirty industry area, you'll need to bulldoze down the dirty and raise the desirability to a very high level (usually by having to wait for the pollution to dissipate, unless you want to pay out of your ass for parks and their maintenance costs)
---
Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.