This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is 8gb worth the extra $300

#31_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/8/2013 1:57:06 AM
Generally I would say not. But more specifically I would say it depends on your budget and what you intend to do on it. Because of x86, this opens up possible uses that benefit from more RAM.

Though I would not be doing any video-editing or photo-shop on a tablet. Maybe it is just me, but I have a hard time coming up with something that requires more than 4 GB RAM that I would want to do on a tablet.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#32ArnzillazorPosted 10/8/2013 2:03:14 AM
Absolutely not.
#33PraetorXynPosted 10/8/2013 10:01:54 AM
ethsfan posted...
jakisthe posted...
What ultrabook are you referring to?
And it's a waste because it's so limiting. It's a tablet. That kind of money can buy a real nice quality labtop. Yeah, it'll be a tad heavy, but if that's such a big deal, just get a $800 ultrabook and a Nexus 7 or somesuch.

I dont get whats crappy about it?
Haswell i5. 4gb ram. Hd4400 graph card. 1080p screen. Digital Pro Pen/sceen. Great battery.

Let's go by item shall we?
Not all i5's are the same. It's a series, and the best one is much better than the worst one. But it's going to be a laptop CPU regardless so is a crappy CPU no matter which it is.
4 GB RAM , coupled with the other poor specs, would make you cry if you tried to run Photoshop and actually do something with it. Remember that Windows takes up 1-2 GB RAM in general.
HD 4400 is not a graphics card. It's an integrated graphics chip on the CPU. Ultrabooks will be the same, but for the price you're willing to pay you can get a laptop with a real GPU.
Pretty much any laptop worth anything will have a 1080p screen.
I don't know what the battery life is, so I won't comment on that.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#34ethsfan(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2013 2:28:12 AM(edited)
Hmm i saw an ad for a used ATIV Book 9 Plus For $900
That 13.3" LED QHD+, 3200 x 1800 screen is tempting

Actually theyre asking $699. Is it me or is that really low to be asking for an ultrabook
---
Official Gabriel of the SMT4 board.
#35wildog2006Posted 10/10/2013 8:44:25 AM(edited)
On the surface pro, yes, definitely. The OS alone takes up about 80GB on those things. You aren't paying $300 for 4GB more RAM, you're paying for the SSD that is twice the size.

After reading some comments in here, you all do realize that the Surface Pro is running full Windows 8? It's more than a tablet and easier to carry around than a laptop/ultrabook.
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.
#36emmecePosted 10/10/2013 9:49:49 AM
You could wait and see what Dell will charge for similarly speced Venue 11 Pro Tablets. They should both come out at about the same time Nov 7 vs OCt 22.
#37happyscrub1Posted 10/10/2013 10:09:15 AM
castrejon04 posted...
Is there any particular why you would need a tablet over a laptop? If it's for convenience since it smaller and has touch screen, then you are a fool.

If he can not only afford the tablet but also afford to waste money like that.. let him. Gotta stimulate that economy, bro lol.
---
Never forget.... Building #7