This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Having some trouble with my hard drive.

#1ACx7Posted 10/8/2013 8:11:10 AM
Yesterday morning when I turned on my computer I noticed an odd clicking sound. I didn't think anything of it at the time and started to play a game. Shortly after that my computer froze and the sound got worse. I had to hard reset it and when I turned it back on I preformed a Disk Check. After that everything was fine. The sound was gone and there was no loading problems or freezing of any kind. It worked fine most of the day until I put it in sleep mode to run to the store. When I got home and woke it up to start up a game the problem started again. Only this time when I hard reset the PC wouldnt even boot back up. I got a screen telling me to reboot and select proper boot device.

So I leave it be and use my laptop for the rest of the night. But out of habit I turned the PC on this morning before the laptop and it's working fine now.

I have no idea if the hard drive is dying, or if there might be something wrong with the wiring or another part in the computer. It's not even a year old.
#2Lonestar2000Posted 10/8/2013 8:13:12 AM
Download Crystal Disk Info and see what it says. Also, I would get an external to back up your data just in case.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#3ACx7(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 10:29:09 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4Lonestar2000Posted 10/8/2013 10:38:14 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#5ACx7(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 10:47:58 PM
Lonestar2000 posted...
ACx7 posted...
I was able to back up everything that needs backed up. I ran CrystalDiskInfo. Not sure what most of it means though.

Results

http://tinypic.com/r/dccx1s/5

That drive is on the way out, I would get a new one ASAP.

Well that's unfortunate. It's not even a year old. I got all the RMA info I need earlier just in case and can have it replaced under warranty. But if they are just going to send me another one of the same model it might be worth spending the $70 or so and just buying a better brand.

Anyways... Thanks for the help. I'll get it replaced soon.
#6ATARIJAWAPosted 10/9/2013 1:20:57 AM
That clicking noise you hear is the read arm failing. That drive is definitely on the way out.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 105