This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How will GTA5's dual loading effect the PC version?

#1pothocketPosted 10/8/2013 9:47:43 AM
In case anyone is unaware, GTA5 on the consoles does this thing where it stream loads simultaneously from both the disk drive and hard drive to overcome the memory limitations. The result is graphics that seem impossible when compared to what has been done before on current gen.

I know PCs will have a lot more memory to work with but players will also want higher texture resolutions at a farther draw distance. So how fast can a typical medium range gaming PC read the average harddrive compared to how fast the 360 can read its drive? Could it steam load everything (accounting for better textures) faster than a 360 can stream off its drive and disk at once? Will GTA5 require a Solid State Drive to run smoothly?
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#2wizardmonPosted 10/8/2013 9:49:36 AM
RAM, swap space, SSD, diskdrive. There's more ways for the game to load at once on a PC, so the only way it can effect it is positively.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#3MonkeymagePosted 10/8/2013 9:51:23 AM
PCs have a revolutionary thing called RAM, which comes in sizes larger than 512MB.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#4WyzeGyePosted 10/8/2013 9:51:58 AM
Looks like I'm gonna have to get 64gb ram to ramdisk it.... I wouldn't want to be handicapped by not having a console with smooth loading
---
http://i.imgur.com/2dhh8tn.gif | http://i.imgur.com/p5EXSiq.jpg
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/2/2/7/201227_v1.gif
#5Tony_Biggie_PunPosted 10/8/2013 10:02:13 AM
GTA 5s issues on consoles could be an explanation for why the PC version of GTA 4 had such horrible pop in on 512MB and even 1GB VRAM video cards. Now it's almost a non issue since PCs have gotten so strong and video cards have so much fast vram that it brute forced it way past that issue.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Z3MIjNj.jpg
You can tell a lot about a person based on how they treat the weaker members of society.
#6DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/8/2013 10:08:28 AM(edited)
pothocket posted...
Could it steam load everything (accounting for better textures) faster than a 360 can stream off its drive and disk at once?

Likely could actually. The hard drives in a 360 are only 5200rpm while most pc's have 7200rpm HDDs. A 2.5inch drive will also always have less sequential speeds than a larger 3.5 inch drive due to platter density differences. That alone can be quite a difference in speed. Obviously you are correct that if a pc gamer wants to have much better visuals, that a streaming might take a hit but at that point most gamers are likely willing to use an SSD which would mop the floor compared to the potential console bandwidth. Keep in mind that a PS3's max blu ray speed is 2x or 9MB/s... that really is peanuts. The early 360 disc drives run at 12x (DVD) speeds which are rated for about 16 MB/s...again not a whole lot of speed.

More ram is also a larger benefit than you are leading it on to be. The consoles 512mb or RAM (shared) means its constantly needing to stream. A pc can easily load up much larger chunks to help with streaming even with the added strain of improved textures and assets. If programmed properly to take advantage of a users ram, we could be looking at easily 10gb+ of possible swapping space.

At the end of the day, it really depends on the port job. If its good, there will be a huge difference in quality and it will run better. If its not, there will be issues.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#7pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 10:10:01 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
pothocket posted...
Could it steam load everything (accounting for better textures) faster than a 360 can stream off its drive and disk at once?

Likely could actually. The hard drives in a 360 are only 5200rpm while most pc's have 7200rpm HDDs. A 2.5inch drive will also always have less sequential speeds than a larger 3.5 inch drive due to platter density differences. That alone can be quite a difference in speed. Obviously you are correct that if a pc gamer wants to have much better visuals, that a streaming might take a hit but at that point most gamers are likely willing to use an SSD which would mop the floor compared to the potential console bandwidth. Keep in mind that a PS3's max blu ray speed is 2x or 9MB/s... that really is peanuts. The early 360 disc drives run at 12x (DVD) speeds which are rated for about 16 MB/s...again not a whole lot of speed.

More ram is also a larger benefit than you are leading it on to be. The consoles 512mb or RAM (shared) means its constantly needing to stream. A pc can easily load up much larger chunks to help with streaming even with the added strain of improved textures and assets. If programmed properly to take advantage of a users ram, we could be looking at easily 10gb+ of possible swapping space.

At the end of the day, it really depends on the port job. If its good, there will be a huge difference in quality and it will run better. If its not, there will be issues.

Thank you. Exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#8R i c kPosted 10/8/2013 10:10:51 AM
SSD and 16GB of RAM here. Come at me, GTA5!
---
i5-2500k@4.5Ghz, XFX Radeon HD 6870, ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3, 2x8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Crucial M4 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD, XFX Pro650W Core, Corsair 650D