This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 7 vs Windows 8 with classic shell

#11DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/8/2013 11:36:02 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
DV8ingSources posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
If this is true, maybe everyone will finally get on the hate bandwagon.

Doubt it. I bet there are a lot of people that just want the actual button back... the fact that it will transfer into the 'start screen' will only bother them temporarily. They are fixing the only real complaint I had with the os and thats the silly shutdown location.

Hmmm, I want the charms bar gone entirely, the left task panel gone entirely, and bring back the old search system the displayed the results in one screen, not categorized. I also want the search to indicate between metro and regular versions for control panel items.

-Edit
And I want Aero back, that new desktop theme is horrid and hard to see, and it leaked into VS2012 making that super hard to read and use now.

You won't get aero back but you can turn off hot corners (not sure if swipes still work) and you can have it boot directly into desktop mode so most of the complaints should be gone.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#12SinisterSlayPosted 10/8/2013 11:42:39 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
DV8ingSources posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
If this is true, maybe everyone will finally get on the hate bandwagon.

Doubt it. I bet there are a lot of people that just want the actual button back... the fact that it will transfer into the 'start screen' will only bother them temporarily. They are fixing the only real complaint I had with the os and thats the silly shutdown location.

Hmmm, I want the charms bar gone entirely, the left task panel gone entirely, and bring back the old search system the displayed the results in one screen, not categorized. I also want the search to indicate between metro and regular versions for control panel items.

-Edit
And I want Aero back, that new desktop theme is horrid and hard to see, and it leaked into VS2012 making that super hard to read and use now.

You won't get aero back but you can turn off hot corners (not sure if swipes still work) and you can have it boot directly into desktop mode so most of the complaints should be gone.

Windows 9 already bringing back Aero :D

So that just leaves the search, I really wish they would fix, it turned my favorite feature of Windows 7, into a useless feature of Windows 8.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#13Lord_XandrosPosted 10/8/2013 11:45:13 AM
The search is one of the best features in Windows 8, though
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrraveygravy/
#14SinisterSlayPosted 10/8/2013 11:48:00 AM
Lord_Xandros posted...
The search is one of the best features in Windows 8, though

Was better in 7.

Control panel items are the big weakness, as they are now categorized, but not smart enough to show the category. And they mostly show up twice, one is for metro, one is for desktop, but it doesn't tell you which is which.

try "printer" or "dpi"
It will first tell you no results, until you click the symbol for control panel, it will then show you at least two results with vaguely similar names, one will be metro, the other, desktop.
And the two don't work together.
Near as I can tell, the metro printer install never works for domain printers, it will always say the drivers couldn't be found, even if the printer is already installed on the desktop version.
As for DPI, I am not entirely sure what the metro version does, when I tried in the Windows 8 beta, it seemed to make no difference.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#15betatechPosted 10/8/2013 12:07:13 PM
I'm mixed.

I've been using my discount W8 install for a few weeks now and on the one hand I've suffered far fewer crashes than my old W7 install but on the other the kludged feeling I get plus the odd compatibility issue makes me think that if I was paying full price I'd stick with W7.

The only BSODs I've had so far are because I was trying to update the ATI drivers but even then with W7 I don't know if a clean install would have fixed the problem anyway.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#16_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/8/2013 12:11:36 PM
We have yet to see how windows 8 may influence things. There are some new games coming out that make use of direct X 11.1 and some developers claim that windows 8 users can expect better performance. Battlefield 4 is the main example for this I guess.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H