This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sword of the Stars - The Pit is actually a really good game

#1Carbon_DeoxxysPosted 10/8/2013 11:29:51 AM
I was deceived by the bad ratings. Most ratings are probably from old fans of the game, mad at how its a completely different genre.
#2SlaynPosted 10/8/2013 11:31:42 AM
I bought it, found it very boring.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#3notSFFPosted 10/8/2013 12:08:41 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. One of the best recent Roguelikes I've played.

Its a lot like Dungeons of Dredmor in that, rather then be the result of RNG BS, when you die in The Pit, you know it is entirely your own fault and not the game's.
---
SteamID: tsff20
Xbox Gamer Tag: TSFF19
#4vistahater44Posted 10/8/2013 12:19:20 PM
I'm playing through it right now and, yeah, I agree. Lately I've been getting into roguelike games. I bought FTL about 2 weeks ago and was instantly hooked.
---
This is my sig.
#5wizardmonPosted 10/8/2013 12:54:46 PM
I loved it, even though it has a few flaws.

I once was killed by a disintegrater I was booby trapping that I had a 99~% chance to succeed in. Went from full health with kickin' rad armor and a modified shotgun to dead in a single button press.

The last playthrough I did was as wolverine, a constantly regenerating dude that used adamantium claws as my only weapon.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#6Dukaduka1k82Posted 10/8/2013 1:31:37 PM
I agree. It is a fun game to pick up if you want a quick play session. Playing for an extended period of time gets a little boring though.
---
Asus i7-3610QM @ 2.3Ghz, 16gig ram, Nvidia 660m 2Gb, 1Tb hdd @ 7200rpm
#7lionheart5656Posted 10/8/2013 3:09:05 PM
notSFF posted...
I agree wholeheartedly. One of the best recent Roguelikes I've played.

Its a lot like Dungeons of Dredmor in that, rather then be the result of RNG BS, when you die in The Pit, you know it is entirely your own fault and not the game's.

I beg to differ.

I lost one game because I went 15 levels or so levels without finding food anywhere.

Another game I ran out of ammo near the bottom and went 8 levels without finding anything.

The game is good but you can just as easily die to bad RNG in this game.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#8Killah PriestPosted 10/8/2013 3:17:51 PM
I wanted to buy it on sale but forgot, going to wait for the next one I guess.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#9Carbon_Deoxxys(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2013 7:59:26 AM
do you guys like it better barebones? or with the DLC? i dunno if i like all these powers
#10vistahater44Posted 10/10/2013 2:13:38 PM
Carbon_Deoxxys posted...
do you guys like it better barebones? or with the DLC? i dunno if i like all these powers

I haven't tried it with DLC. I'm still on my first playthrough (I think I'm on floor 15 or so). I usually don't buy DLC for games until after I've played through them once or twice.
---
This is my sig.