This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Starcraft 2 still good community wise/for new players?

#1locky723Posted 10/8/2013 1:56:53 PM
Iv'e been thinking of trying a RTS, since they seem fun, and the best/most popular one seems to be starcraft 2 (In case anyone takes offense, no im not saying starcraft 2 is the best most amazing RTS ever. I just think its a good starting point) So, couple of questions: A. is, is there a community still? B. Is it hard to get into and C. Are the expansions worth it?
#2turbovirginPosted 10/8/2013 2:02:36 PM
It still has a very active community. It can be tough to get into at first but with the way ladder is setup, you'll eventually be placed into a rank where you should be quite competitive with most people you play.

The expansion is pretty much necessary, as most of the community and pro scene has moved to it
---
Heads on straight, my girlfriend's beautiful, looks pretty good to me
#3cuteboi100Posted 10/8/2013 2:04:33 PM
locky723 posted...
Iv'e been thinking of trying a RTS, since they seem fun, and the best/most popular one seems to be starcraft 2 (In case anyone takes offense, no im not saying starcraft 2 is the best most amazing RTS ever. I just think its a good starting point) So, couple of questions: A. is, is there a community still? B. Is it hard to get into and C. Are the expansions worth it?

Play the base game then decide if the expansion is what you want. I'm only on the base game now. The community is still very much alive, matchmaking queues are never more than a few seconds. It is not hard to get into if you have the will to improve. I bought the game in August, played hundreds of games, read up on strategy and theory and was ranked Platinum by the end of August (The start of the new season). Platinum puts me in the 80th percentile of players. So I'm better than 80% of SC2 players. So it's definitely do-able.
---
Xbox Live GT:ScaryPillow , iHaruyuki TERA:
LoL : ScaryPillow Maplestory: MLGLordly 16x I/L Arch Mage
#4locky723(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 2:09:07 PM
cuteboi100 posted...
locky723 posted...

Play the base game then decide if the expansion is what you want. I'm only on the base game now. The community is still very much alive, matchmaking queues are never more than a few seconds. It is not hard to get into if you have the will to improve. I bought the game in August, played hundreds of games, read up on strategy and theory and was ranked Platinum by the end of August (The start of the new season). Platinum puts me in the 80th percentile of players. So I'm better than 80% of SC2 players. So it's definitely do-able.

Intresting. Does it, or the expansion, ever go on sale?
#5cuteboi100Posted 10/8/2013 2:11:58 PM
You can get a copy off eBay for about $20, I was lucky and got one for $16. That's about as cheap as it gets though.
---
#6locky723(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 2:14:22 PM
cuteboi100 posted...
You can get a copy off eBay for about $20, I was lucky and got one for $16. That's about as cheap as it gets though.

So its only 28 on amazon? Thats not too bad.
#7Sergei_DukanovPosted 10/8/2013 2:18:00 PM
if only command and conquer had as active of a comunity. I still cant get into star craft.
---
" The capacity to learn is a gift;The ability to learn is a skill;The willingness to learn is a choice" Gamer Tag XT356
#8HighOnPhazonPosted 10/8/2013 2:30:28 PM
Don't be fooled...SC2 is not newbie friendly. Its not nearly as bad as League Of Legends but its still not somewhere you can expect friendly players.
---
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#9locky723(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 2:31:33 PM
HighOnPhazon posted...
Don't be fooled...SC2 is not newbie friendly. Its not nearly as bad as League Of Legends but its still not somewhere you can expect friendly players.

Then what should i do?
#10cuteboi100Posted 10/8/2013 2:32:41 PM
HighOnPhazon posted...

Why would I want to fool him?
---