This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone know any good websites to learn about networking or c++?

#1Tommy2GoGoPosted 10/8/2013 3:11:39 PM
Titles says it all. Been putting learning both off for a while now. Seeing as I've been trying to apply for jobs and nearly every job I've tried applying for have required one or the other.
I have the other qualities they mentioned minus these two.

I just managed to acquire Microsoft visual express 2010 from my school's website. So I'm good with that.

Anyone know any websites for learning either?

Thanks.
#2kingoffpsPosted 10/8/2013 3:23:14 PM
I've never learned programming from a website as I did all mine at university. I could recommend some textbooks though if you want?
---
i7 920 @ 3.6GHz, 3.8GHz (single-thread mode), MSI X58 Platinum, 6GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950 (1100/1450), 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
#3mrCubePosted 10/8/2013 3:31:54 PM
The Game Design and Programming board has a list of good resources
---
---
#4electroflamePosted 10/8/2013 3:39:11 PM
Honestly, I'd suggest getting a book. Then, when things start to feel boring, just start to make something. Anything.

Then when you run across a problem you can't solve, Google it and see what you get.

In my experience, the best way to learn is to jump in and actually do something. The things you remember the best are the ones you had the most trouble with.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#5ShubPosted 10/8/2013 4:35:06 PM
Do you have programming experience? C++ isn't really the best place to start.
As for networking, how much do you know and what do you want to learn? There's routing, switching, firewalls, ... you could find yourself a CCNA study guide and use that to learn the theory and skip over anything to do with Cisco IOS for the time being, as that won't teach you about networking so much as about using a Cisco router or switch.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6SmudgieMuffinsPosted 10/8/2013 4:46:45 PM
Shub posted...

I never really understood why people said that. The learning curve is pretty steady if you ask me. There's never really been a time where I had to learn a certain concept to move on and it just baffled me so much that I had to stop.
#7ShubPosted 10/8/2013 4:48:15 PM
Depends on the person I guess.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#8Orestes417Posted 10/8/2013 4:53:11 PM
Starting with C++ to learn modern programming, especially self learning, is akin to learning to cut down trees with a lumberjack's chainsaw. Yeah, you can do it if you're careful and do your homework, and yes it can be more efficient than more "safe" languages.. but it's also not going to attempt to stop you from doing things like cutting your legs off.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#9Treason686Posted 10/8/2013 4:56:05 PM
SmudgieMuffins posted...
Shub posted...

I never really understood why people said that. The learning curve is pretty steady if you ask me. There's never really been a time where I had to learn a certain concept to move on and it just baffled me so much that I had to stop.

My first programming course was C++ as well. I didn't have any issues that I recall.

Still, I think C is a better place to start. It's where I'm currently learning a lot of abstract data types like trees, queues, linked lists, stacks, etc. We're doing everything manually in C, which really reinforces the fundamentals.

That said, I'll assume the TC has some idea of programming concepts.

Get a book. Seriously. It seems silly considering we're all digital these days, but a book is where it's at, and they're really the best resources.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#10VordraxPosted 10/8/2013 5:17:33 PM
SmudgieMuffins posted...

It's better for most people to focus on learning logic and not have to worry about memory management. I recommend most people start with JavaScript or a .Net language.
---
Miroku2235: Every time someone says the Mesmer reminds them of Naruto I die a little inside.
Groadergreen: I'm legally deceased because of things like this.