This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone know any good websites to learn about networking or c++?

#11mrCubePosted 10/8/2013 5:32:47 PM
Vordrax posted...
SmudgieMuffins posted...
I never really understood why people said that. The learning curve is pretty steady if you ask me. There's never really been a time where I had to learn a certain concept to move on and it just baffled me so much that I had to stop.

It's better for most people to focus on learning logic and not have to worry about memory management. I recommend most people start with JavaScript or a .Net language.

You can really, really easily learn all the fundamentals of programming in C++ without ever touching the memory management aspect of it. You don't need pointers to learn control flow or basic IO, etc.
---
---
#12SmudgieMuffinsPosted 10/8/2013 6:14:07 PM
mrCube posted...
You can really, really easily learn all the fundamentals of programming in C++ without ever touching the memory management aspect of it. You don't need pointers to learn control flow or basic IO, etc.

That was my thought. I mean, I'd imagine it's good to know your C anyway, so it's not a bad place to start. But then again, going from C++ to C isn't immensely difficult.

But I've heard it put that C++ "does too much behind your back" as someone put it. That's more a fault of the teacher or lack of observation by the student though. And learning a more basic language wont magically reveal the behind the scenes stuff to you anyway.

Also, to actually provide an answer to the question...
http://thenewboston.org/tutorials.php
I like this guy well enough, just had to google occasionally to supplement what he taught.
#13Tommy2GoGo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2013 12:11:58 AM
mrCube posted...
The Game Design and Programming board has a list of good resources

I'll see if I can find htat.

kingoffps posted...
I've never learned programming from a website as I did all mine at university. I could recommend some textbooks though if you want?

I'm actually more open to books. I like learning from a text book than the internet. But at times there are just too many books some more outdated than others that It's hard to choose. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Shub posted...
Do you have programming experience? C++ isn't really the best place to start.
As for networking, how much do you know and what do you want to learn? There's routing, switching, firewalls, ... you could find yourself a CCNA study guide and use that to learn the theory and skip over anything to do with Cisco IOS for the time being, as that won't teach you about networking so much as about using a Cisco router or switch.

I use to have a C++ class a while back. It was relatively easy from when I was doing it. I feel I didn't learn much though. Considering I'm not able to take any courses this semester I decided instead of rotting my brain by playing games, which I totally don't mind. I decided to at least spend my nights learning something.

Seeing as C++ and Networking have been two important things for me getting a job. I'm deciding to just learn them on my own.

As for networking? I would like to know the basics of them. I've seen a few videos and read a bit about networking. But in general I'm just confused as to what 'exactly' is networking.
From your explanation, it's more than just one thing, right?