This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CPU and GPU brand -- which sides to pick for next gen?

#1TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 10/8/2013 4:12:35 PM(edited)
I currently have an i5-4670K and a GTX 780 (also using Windows 8, since that seems to matter for some upcoming games and graphics cards). I like them. Intel is largely better for current-gen games and Nvidia has some cool technology and features that I like.

However, the next generation of consoles is about to hit full force and that means that next-gen games ported to PC will probably follow different trends in their system requirements. Here are options that I see (it looks like a lot to read, but it's just a short albeit wordy list):

CPU options:
1.) Get an 8350 or newer 8-core AMD CPU and a motherboard like my current one (Gigabyte UD3H)
By selling the 4670K and UD3H and buying the AMD counterparts, I won't be spending very much money, if any. I might even get lucky and save like $10.
However, performance in current-gen games will most likely be worse, but by how much? Will it matter?

2.) Get a 4770K
By selling the 4670K and buying the 4770K, I'll spend about $75-$125 and current-gen performance will increase a little, so no worries there.
However, it's not guaranteed to match the 8350 for next-gen performance; it's risky when considering that next-gen consoles use AMD CPUs.

3.) Do nothing
Easiest option with no cost to me. Does not affect current-gen performance.
However, performance will almost surely be worse for next-gen titles.

GPU Options:
1.) Get a Radeon R9 290
By selling the 780, I'll make enough money to buy this. I'm not sure how this affects next-gen games as I haven't researched AMD's new series (can anyone give me a brief rundown of what to expect from it, please?), but I'm thinking it might be better for next-gen games.
However, current-gen games are likely going to perform worse and I'll miss the Nvidia-exclusive features.
However, will AMD-exclusive features (if there will be any; I'm saying this because both consoles use AMD GPUs) for next-gen games be a good enough incentive? Also, I don't know what, (if anything) Nvidia has up their sleeve for the next generation. Maybe they have something that will keep me staying.

2.) Get a Radeon R9 290X
Same as above. According to a leak, I might make barely enough money to buy this card by selling the 780; I might even have to pay a little extra.
Also, it will be even better for next-gen games and won't be as bad for current-gen games; I'll still miss the Nvidia-exclusive features, though.

3.) Do nothing
Easiest option with no cost to me. Performance for current-gen games will be good, but it's uncertain how it will be for next-gen games. I also get to keep the Nvidia-exclusive features.
I don't know what tricks both AMD and Nvidia are planning, though. There might be some good AMD-exclusive features in the future that I don't want to miss out on, but there might also be some good Nvidia-exclusive features that keep me staying.

Obviously, I'm not going to do any of this in the next couple weeks or possibly months. I want to wait until a few next-gen titles are out and the reports are in (on benchmarks, new technologies, etc). I'd just like to get an idea of what to expect and what to do. I'd also like to hear any other options. I'd like a good balance of best performance/least money spent changing parts.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#2Sergei_DukanovPosted 10/8/2013 4:15:09 PM
stick with it. Get a six core intel when you can. The 8350 is a running nice, but I had to OC the **** out of it to just play generals and zero hour :/ but other than that, its running great. and I would avoind going for the 4770k because it will be a minor bump up for you.
---
" The capacity to learn is a gift;The ability to learn is a skill;The willingness to learn is a choice" Gamer Tag XT356
#3TheC0ndemnedOne(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 4:20:34 PM
Sergei_Dukanov posted...
Get a six core intel when you can.

I figured this would be one of the best options. Unfortunately, I'm trying to ready myself for the next generation while spending as little as possible. An Intel processor with 12 threads does sound like a very good choice, but it would mean spending a lot of money on an LGA 2011 motherboard and processor. That's why I didn't list it.

Also, what should I do about the GPU options? They seem like even harder choices.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#4g7g7g7g7Posted 10/8/2013 4:25:32 PM
You have a solid processor and a solid GPU, just wait a year and see what you actually need. No point getting the crystal ball out or divining tea-leaves when time alone will tell.
---
You never see people quoting each other in sigs anymore. - Adam Laz
#5kobalobasileusPosted 10/8/2013 4:25:38 PM
Do nothing.

Seriously, I thought PC gaming had evolved past the upgrade treadmill phase.
#6Sergei_DukanovPosted 10/8/2013 4:31:37 PM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
Sergei_Dukanov posted...
Get a six core intel when you can.

I figured this would be one of the best options. Unfortunately, I'm trying to ready myself for the next generation while spending as little as possible. An Intel processor with 12 threads does sound like a very good choice, but it would mean spending a lot of money on an LGA 2011 motherboard and processor. That's why I didn't list it.

Also, what should I do about the GPU options? They seem like even harder choices.

I love my 8 core, but if you upgrade to anything short of the 3900 series, you are wasting money. Yeah, the amd 8300's will perform much better next gen, but your cpu is good enough as is. Now gpu tho, wait for the new R9's or the nvidea equivalent. Or grab a few 7970's when they drop in price,
---
" The capacity to learn is a gift;The ability to learn is a skill;The willingness to learn is a choice" Gamer Tag XT356
#7MasterDonGeroPosted 10/8/2013 9:03:37 PM
"AMD is in the new consoles, so AMD components will now automatically perform better because optimization and APIs and what-not!"

No.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#8myztikricePosted 10/8/2013 9:07:20 PM
Do nothing. The upgrades you're thinking of will do nothing except cost you money.
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.
#9NicodimusPosted 10/8/2013 9:09:14 PM
Do nothing for at least a year.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#10Nightmare2398Posted 10/8/2013 9:10:14 PM
nothing for now, maybe a new processor if 8 cores/threads becomes necessary in a year or 2...
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: VegetarianEater
"This is very heavy, and this, may I remind you, is on fire." -Moony (Moony and Broon Show)