This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Opinion on Solid State Hybrid Drives?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Opinion on Solid State Hybrid Drives?
2 years ago#11
ThePCElitist posted...
reincarnator07 posted...
A lot better than my opinion of all code text...

Kay, less snarky answer. I don't see that much of a point in them. If you're looking at them, it's likely you could get a proper SSD and a decent HDD. You have enough space on a 128GB SSD for a couple of games (although next gen looks to try and change this >_<) and they'd be a lot faster. All your music, movies and photos wouldn't gain anything from the faster speeds unless you were moving them around.

The only time I'd see a point would be if you were limited in physical space for drives and were unable to use an external storage solution.

There's a lot of people who want SSD like speeds but can't afford an SSD or don't want to pay $100-$500 for very little storage.

Exactly, you can get near SSD performance, but 2 terabytes of space and it only costs a few cents a GB more than a normal drive.
Compared to an SSD that seems to average a dollar a GB.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
2 years ago#12
I think they are great, I got one for my laptop, before with a 320GB 7200rpm the boot time was around 1 minute, I got a Momentus XT 750GB and now is 30 seconds to boot to the desktop, software loads faster (but of course not SSD like) and well, the HUGE plus I think, I have 750GB of 7200rpm HDD space also....

If is for a desktop, go for the SDD and get a huge HDD also, for me, my laptop can only have one, so I went for an hybrid drive....
---
XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: VidalukoVet
(most)This gen games: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/VIdaluko/DSC00631.jpg
2 years ago#13
Well I already have a 180GB SSD which I have my Windows and a couple other oft-used programs on and my 1T HDD which I use for everything else.
I was thinking about getting a Hybrid Drive as extra storage when the HDD gets full.
Hence topic.

---
i5-3570K | HD 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T
http://i.imgur.com/xUwa3va.png
2 years ago#14
I can see the appeal. For me, when I'm using a laptop(which is the only place I think hybrid drives really have a compelling argument, since you're typically limited to a single HDD, and choosing between small amounts of space at great speeds or large amounts of space at ok speeds sucks) I'm not putting 500GB of media on it, I'm using it as a mobile computer while I'm away from my home/desk/etc, so a 120GB/240GB SSD would be plenty for me(would easily hold my music, videos and a few games plus a couple other applications), but I can certainly see the appeal(and value) of hybrid storage for people who use laptops as their primary PC.

For most desktop use, I dont see why you wouldnt just buy a cheap SSD and use it for the OS and manually put things on it whenever you want.

Although I havent checked the prices, but if they're competitive with traditional HDDs I dont see any reason to not use them.
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Opinion on Solid State Hybrid Drives?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived