This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it possible to detect which of my hardware causes blue screen?

#11DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/9/2013 6:50:50 AM
Trophy_Hunter85 posted...
It's always the the RAM. No matter what any one tells you, I know from experience...It's always...the stupid RAM

Congratulations, you're wrong.
Also, you bought ****ty RAM.

Bluescreenview will tell you a lot, but won't do everything for you. All you can see is what piece of software was at fault and where. If it's consistently your video or sound driver, you can be pretty sure it's your video or sound card. If it's really inconsistent, or frequently windows system files, it's likely your CPU or RAM, but may be your motherboard.
Anything else is likely to be a software configuration error.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#12AlavardPosted 10/9/2013 7:02:26 AM
The important thing is to try to eliminate the possibilities.

Rule out the easy stuff to check first. First thing I'd check is temperatures and voltages. Run something like speedfan and make sure you've got nothing in the warning zone both when idling and under heavy load.

RAM is also pretty easy to check. Use a bootable CD with memtest86 or another RAM testing tool. If you've got multiple sticks and get RAM errors, try one stick at a time to find the faulty one(s).

In my experience, these are the most likely candidates that cause widespread bluescreens.
#13happyscrub1Posted 10/9/2013 7:07:07 AM
You might wanna tell us what you were doing when you bluescreen.
---
Never forget.... Building #7
#14SinisterSlayPosted 10/9/2013 7:07:34 AM
Usually a BSOD is your video card, followed by your RAM, then your motherboard.

If I were to rate them
98% will be video
1.9% will be RAM
.1% will be motherboard.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#15Fade2black001Posted 10/9/2013 8:04:49 AM
SinisterSlay posted...

If I were to rate them
98% will be video
1.9% will be RAM
.1% will be motherboard.

I will not buy this. You are saying BSOD's are only caused by hardware? You are gravely mistaken. They can also be caused by driver problems and overheating as well.

TC download a program called Who Crashed and tell me what it says.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#16SinisterSlayPosted 10/9/2013 8:08:20 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

If I were to rate them
98% will be video
1.9% will be RAM
.1% will be motherboard.

I will not buy this. You are saying BSOD's are only caused by hardware? You are gravely mistaken. They can also be caused by driver problems and overheating as well.

TC download a program called Who Crashed and tell me what it says.

A BSOD is a driver error, they are only caused by driver errors. They were specifically designed for driver errors. Occasionally they throw a false positive because of hardware failure like RAM. SUch as the "IRQ less than or equal" errors which usually mean bad RAM.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I thought everyone knew that.
When I referred to Video, I was talking about video drivers.
Actual video card failures tend to just make the system shutdown/restart or be unbootable.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence